Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Salvage title S - or clean title base...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 05:08 PM
kuehjo
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Salvage title S - or clean title base...

Aloha!

Been a few years since I've been on Rennlist - got deployed, then moved to Hawaii. I still have my 928 (doing some restoration work) - but I'm DRIVING a couple of Boxsters. Actually, I own (don't tell my significant other) 4.

98 base with 157K miles (probably going out for sale)
2001 base with a rod knocking (80K miles) - Parts car?
2000 base with no engine (90K miles) - Parts car?
2000 S-model with a salvage title but only 57K miles - paid $2500. (Yes, you read that correctly)

The salvage title is for a front end whack, and it's since had a small second front-ender. But that's why I got to buy it CHEAP. I've pulled out the "core support", replaced the hood, replaced a radiator, and gotten an alignment. Runs and drives GREAT. (and let me be the 900 millionth to say that, as much fun as the base is, there is INDEED a difference between the base 2.8 and the 3.2) Still need to replace airbags, but otherwise its a VERY good looking car.

Ironically, all 4 are silver. (Convenient, actually...)

So here's my question - would you keep the S car as a salvage title car and just drive the bejeezus out of it, or would you swap the 3.2, 6-speed transmission, and brakes into one of the other base cars?

I should mention that the 90K car is back on registration 14 months - that's gonna cost me an extra $500 to make current. The car with the rod knocking is a few months shy of 5 years back (but SUPPOSEDLY in Hawaii they fall off of the records at 5 years...)

I'm just curious what you all would do. Clearly I buy my cars for the raw value and to DRIVE (and wrench on) - so I am NOT worried about "resale" down the road, or making a garage queen of any of them. Its not my dream car, once-in-a-lifetime purchase either. (Aiming for a Lotus Exige next, and then, well, we'll see.... Maybe a McLaren?)

Just hanger-flying here a little - curious what the Rennlist community would do...
Old 05-17-2017, 11:36 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by kuehjo
Aloha!

Been a few years since I've been on Rennlist - got deployed, then moved to Hawaii. I still have my 928 (doing some restoration work) - but I'm DRIVING a couple of Boxsters. Actually, I own (don't tell my significant other) 4.

98 base with 157K miles (probably going out for sale)
2001 base with a rod knocking (80K miles) - Parts car?
2000 base with no engine (90K miles) - Parts car?
2000 S-model with a salvage title but only 57K miles - paid $2500. (Yes, you read that correctly)

The salvage title is for a front end whack, and it's since had a small second front-ender. But that's why I got to buy it CHEAP. I've pulled out the "core support", replaced the hood, replaced a radiator, and gotten an alignment. Runs and drives GREAT. (and let me be the 900 millionth to say that, as much fun as the base is, there is INDEED a difference between the base 2.8 and the 3.2) Still need to replace airbags, but otherwise its a VERY good looking car.

Ironically, all 4 are silver. (Convenient, actually...)

So here's my question - would you keep the S car as a salvage title car and just drive the bejeezus out of it, or would you swap the 3.2, 6-speed transmission, and brakes into one of the other base cars?

I should mention that the 90K car is back on registration 14 months - that's gonna cost me an extra $500 to make current. The car with the rod knocking is a few months shy of 5 years back (but SUPPOSEDLY in Hawaii they fall off of the records at 5 years...)

I'm just curious what you all would do. Clearly I buy my cars for the raw value and to DRIVE (and wrench on) - so I am NOT worried about "resale" down the road, or making a garage queen of any of them. Its not my dream car, once-in-a-lifetime purchase either. (Aiming for a Lotus Exige next, and then, well, we'll see.... Maybe a McLaren?)

Just hanger-flying here a little - curious what the Rennlist community would do...
If you move the 3.2l engine and possibly transmission from the S to the 2001 base then you are facing gettng rid of a bum base engine and possibly the transmisison and the shell of the S with a salvage title.

If you are otherwise happy with the S then get the airbags replaced -- they deployed from the accident? -- and continue to drive the S.

Get rid of the other cars and bank the money to keep the S on the road.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:12 AM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
If you move the 3.2l engine and possibly transmission from the S to the 2001 base then you are facing gettng rid of a bum base engine and possibly the transmisison and the shell of the S with a salvage title.

If you are otherwise happy with the S then get the airbags replaced -- they deployed from the accident? -- and continue to drive the S.

Get rid of the other cars and bank the money to keep the S on the road.
Agreed.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:25 PM
kuehjo
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys - even as I was writing asking, I was thinking the same thing (somehow though, its the action of putting it in writing that clarifies the thoughts...)

I'm not worried about resale - I just want to drive and enjoy. I'll keep the S as-is and enjoy.

Mahalo!

Quick Reply: Salvage title S - or clean title base...