Sponsored by:

Something broke off and I need help identifying the part

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 12:27 AM
Eric J.
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something broke off and I need help identifying the part

Hi Guys. Newbie here from Staten Island, New York.

A piece broke off my Boxster and I need help identifying what part I need to get. Currently, the car is throwing off P1128 and P1130. I already cleaned my MAF and replaced my air filter. It was good for a couple of days then the code came back. I can smell fumes from the exhaust but no smoke.

While I was checking the engine, I noticed a broken piece and the surrounding area near it is wet with oil or something. Pictured and circled. Can someone help me identify this part (with part number if possible) and where else it connects to.

Also, the cable with the two clamps in the picture looks like it should be mounted to something. Is this normal?

This may not be related to my codes but obviously I need to replace this part.

2000 Boxster with Manual Transmission at 104K miles
2.7 Engine

I'd appreciate any help and leads.

Old 11-08-2016, 02:59 AM
Stephen Tinker
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Eric, that looks like your dipstick tube. Someone has "joined" it with the two clamps & a rubber sleeve - and that looks like your dipstick coming out of the tube.....
Pull out the dipstick and you should be able to re-clamp the lower part of the tube back into the temporary sleeve.

The dipstick tube is made from more then 1 piece.

If you want to replace the tube, you can press the grey tab, and pull the tube From the rubber grommet into the trunk.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:45 AM
Eric J.
5th Gear

Thank you Stephen! I'm glad its something so simple. I never thought it was the dipstick. I barely work or set my eyes on the engine of my Boxster.

Thanks again!
Old 11-08-2016, 03:55 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Seems like you seldom use the dip stick either ! Notice it does not actually dip into the engine in the photo.
It is possible to simply repair the repair using the same materials. Hopefully there are no missing parts of the broken dipstick tube? Access is a problem.
This damage often occurs when a noob removes the engine. Has your engine been out ? That may hint at other problems
Old 11-08-2016, 05:00 PM
Eric J.
5th Gear

Hi Schnell,

We only had the car for 1.5 years and this is the first time it gave us a problem (codes). I don't know much about it's history but it seems like the engine hasn't been off the car. The car is in a really good condition overall so I can say the previous owner took good care of it.

Yes, I rely more on the oil level displayed in the cluster. I recently changed the oil and I remember pulling the dipstick to check the level. The repair must have came off after I pushed the stick back in. I will think of a better fix until i get the tube replaced.

Thanks!
Old 11-08-2016, 05:05 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Eric ,
Before you order a new tube - rehearse trying to remove the old one. Yo will find that access is terrible. That is why I said just repair the old one with the parts already there.
There are bigger issues to put on the PM list !
Old 11-08-2016, 05:10 PM
Eric J.
5th Gear

That's a pretty good advice. in the end, the temporary fix might be permanent.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:18 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

If you even try getting your had or a tool in that space, you may easily dislodge vacuum lines. But out of curiosity ,poke around and tell us if ou think you could do it. If the gearbox was out of the car, it would be easier.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:25 PM
Eric J.
5th Gear

I don't want to take that risk and dislodge any vacuum lines so I will just re-clamp that thing together and call it a day.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Something broke off and I need help identifying the part