Sponsored by:

Fuel Sending Unit - DIY

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 09:06 PM
gman3280
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Fuel Sending Unit - DIY

Hey has anyone changed the fuel sending unit because of the gas smell? I checked the top of the sending unit today and there's gas on the top of it. The Pelican DIY says drain the gas tank. I didn't know if that was actually needed or they are trying to be super conservative. Let me know, thanks in advance.
Old 11-08-2016, 07:59 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Which DIY article are you referring to? Our diys tend to be specific enough without having to do extra work - if a step is not needed, we generally mention it. There is a section just below the article where you can post a Comment. Feel free to use this and someone will get back to you with more detailed info. Best of luck!
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 11-08-2016, 10:36 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by gman3280
Hey has anyone changed the fuel sending unit because of the gas smell? I checked the top of the sending unit today and there's gas on the top of it. The Pelican DIY says drain the gas tank. I didn't know if that was actually needed or they are trying to be super conservative. Let me know, thanks in advance.
Before removing/installing fuel pump (or the fuel gage or sending unit) the Boxster factory manual calls for "residual" fuel be "extracted".
Old 11-11-2016, 08:56 PM
hushypushy
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I used this DIY to replace my fuel sending unit.

I didn't bother draining the tank. However, I have to admit, it was slightly scary working on top of a big open tank of gasoline.

One thing not mentioned in the Pelican Parts DIY is that when you pull the fuel line out of the sending unit, all the fuel in the line gushes out. So make sure you have a cup nearby! IIRC, mine spit out enough fuel to fill up about half a 'Venti'-size Starbucks cup.

Quick Reply: Fuel Sending Unit - DIY