Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another dreaded "Bleeding brakes on a 987 with PSM thread" thread...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 06:58 PM
P-on
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another dreaded "Bleeding brakes on a 987 with PSM thread" thread...

I successfully (I think) bled my brakes on my 2006 Boxster S which had blue recalled fluid in it. The PPI said to change it so I did so with a Motive power bleeder. What I did first was bleed all four calipers in the usual order until only ATE Gold came out. Used about 1.5L of fluid. THEN I hooked up my Durametric enthusiast cable and opened the nipple on the left rear first, activate the valve and watch the "progress on the bar" as they say. NOTHING. No progress indicator, no bar, no sound...just deafening silence. Did the same with the other three wheels but I have no clue if it did anything at all. Fluid just continued to drain under pressure as it had before I hooked up the cable. I did NOT bleed the clutch. The pedals are more firm and everything seems fine. This whole process seems mystical to me (PSM and cable..not bleeding) so next time it needs to go to the dealer for anything I'm thinking I'll have them bleed everything that can be bled including the clutch. Thoughts? I find so many threads with differing information so I guess this will continue to muddy the waters.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:58 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by P-on
I successfully (I think) bled my brakes on my 2006 Boxster S which had blue recalled fluid in it. The PPI said to change it so I did so with a Motive power bleeder. What I did first was bleed all four calipers in the usual order until only ATE Gold came out. Used about 1.5L of fluid. THEN I hooked up my Durametric enthusiast cable and opened the nipple on the left rear first, activate the valve and watch the "progress on the bar" as they say. NOTHING. No progress indicator, no bar, no sound...just deafening silence. Did the same with the other three wheels but I have no clue if it did anything at all. Fluid just continued to drain under pressure as it had before I hooked up the cable. I did NOT bleed the clutch. The pedals are more firm and everything seems fine. This whole process seems mystical to me (PSM and cable..not bleeding) so next time it needs to go to the dealer for anything I'm thinking I'll have them bleed everything that can be bled including the clutch. Thoughts? I find so many threads with differing information so I guess this will continue to muddy the waters.
There is some question as to whether the Enthusiast version does what you need or if you need the Pro version. I'm no Durametric expert so I can't say.

Here's an article that might be of some help:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...ing_Brakes.htm

A quick scan of the article has me believing you'll need the Porsche diagnostics computer (PST2, although this has been replaced in most cases by the newer computer system: PIWIS2) in order to flush the old fluid from then entire hydraulic system if your car has PSM and has the "PSM OFF" switch on the dash.

These PST2/PIWIS2 systems don't grow on trees so I'm thinking the dealer for this job.

If you track your car I'm not even sure it is ok to do interim flush/bleeds with just the power bleeder. For tracking, especially for tracking, I would think one would want to be sure the fluid in the entire system is fresh.

Regardless of what you do between the 2 year interval the every 2 year flush/bleed should have the fluid from the entire system removed/replaced and this could require a trip back to the dealer.

While you are there ask what the recommended bleeding sequence is for your car with PSM (if it has this of course.)

I sort of recall the sequence is different ( RR/RL/FL/FR ) than it is for cars without PSM ( RR/RL/FR/FL ). But get confirmation from someone who knows (the tech).

If you take the car in be sure you specifically request -- if your car equipped with a manual transmission of course -- the clutch fluid be flushed/bled too. It should be but ask and make sure it is on the work invoice.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:00 PM
P-on
Instructor

Thank you Macster. It was my understanding that the Durametric did the job but I could be wrong. I am not going to track the car so perhaps after the winter I'll have the entire system and clutch bled properly.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:14 PM
Cbst09
Racer

I think what you are trying to do is get the fluid that is part of the ABS system flushed as well? If that is what you are concerned about I wouldn't worry about it too much. It is a very small amount of fluid, what you have already done is more than adequate.

Quick Reply: Another dreaded "Bleeding brakes on a 987 with PSM thread" thread...