Transmission oil change

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 04:31 AM
yann986
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission oil change

Hi guys,

My Boxster has 90K miles, then I planing to change transmission oil.
Everything look ok for me to do it according the service manual, but the question I have is: how to properly be able to fill with new oil? I mean from above with a tube? This step is not clear in my head and I did not find any clear information about that!
And I dont want to prep everything, drain, and look stupid at the moment of trying to figure out how to put new oil thought this little hole from under the car...

Thank you if you have any tips.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:45 AM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

This is covered in Search.
First issue is slacken the FILL plug first ! Why? Because the drain plug is easy to remove but the Fill Plug may require PB Blaster/penetrating oil. If you drain all the oil but can not refill ,you'll be ......
Look it up in Wayne's book of projects(Pelican)
Old 10-09-2016, 02:12 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by yann986
Hi guys,

My Boxster has 90K miles, then I planing to change transmission oil.
Everything look ok for me to do it according the service manual, but the question I have is: how to properly be able to fill with new oil? I mean from above with a tube? This step is not clear in my head and I did not find any clear information about that!
And I dont want to prep everything, drain, and look stupid at the moment of trying to figure out how to put new oil thought this little hole from under the car...

Thank you if you have any tips.
My recommendation is let the dealer service department do this job. For my 2002 Boxster with a 5-speed the labor is only 0.3 of an hour. While the fluid can be a bit pricey -- but facing this expense every 90K miles is not going to break the bank -- you don't have to deal with the mess and the stink of the fluid. Actually the transmission fluid service is one of the least expensive dealer offered services available for my Boxster (and Turbo, though it requires a bit more labor and I think more fluid).
Old 10-09-2016, 10:38 PM
yann986
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
This is covered in Search.
First issue is slacken the FILL plug first ! Why? Because the drain plug is easy to remove but the Fill Plug may require PB Blaster/penetrating oil. If you drain all the oil but can not refill ,you'll be ......
Look it up in Wayne's book of projects(Pelican)
Thank MG.

Yes I read bad story about removing the fill plug...

Article is here http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...nual_Fluid.htm

And yes I was thinking I read it correctly... I missed the section who answer my question:

"Now, add transmission oil to the case. The best method of doing this is with a hand operated oil pump. These are available from most auto parts stores and attach to the top of the plastic transmission oil bottle."

Thanks.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:41 PM
yann986
Intermediate

Talking

Originally Posted by Macster
My recommendation is let the dealer service department do this job. For my 2002 Boxster with a 5-speed the labor is only 0.3 of an hour. While the fluid can be a bit pricey -- but facing this expense every 90K miles is not going to break the bank -- you don't have to deal with the mess and the stink of the fluid. Actually the transmission fluid service is one of the least expensive dealer offered services available for my Boxster (and Turbo, though it requires a bit more labor and I think more fluid).
Good to know, you know what, I will go to the dealer, ask and confirm.
Then I will calculate my cost (oil+tools like anti-tamper socket (Hazet 2567-16) + the risk with the drain plug is it does not come out...) and compare to Porsche cost.

Thank you!

Quick Reply: Transmission oil change