Dead electrics-2004 986 RHD UK car

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 04:09 AM
Lanark
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead electrics-2004 986 RHD UK car

Hi
I have had a look through the forum, and found some advice but posting a question to get some clarity. So sorry for another post on a topic there has been lots on already. I hope the wisdom of the board can help me.

I have a right hand drive UK car. 2004 986.

So if answers could please state, left or right side, instead of drivers and passengers side that would be most helpful. The other posts all talk about drivers side etc.

The problem is, all my electrics are dead. The car has been sitting for about 3 months as I have been away. I can't get the front and rear boots open. Both switches are dead. The dash is dead.

I have tried connecting another car to the positive post in the fuse box and the door latch. The only response is the alarm going off. Putting the key in the door or ignition does not turn it off.

I left the car connected to the other car for a while. Eventually, the alarm stopped and the electronics under the left hand seat started clicking rapidly. Eventually this stopped too. The carpet under the seat is dry.

So my questions are

1) can I charge the battery using a battery conditioner through the post/door latch?
2) which side is the emergency bonnet / hood release? Left or right side?
3) does anyone have pictures of the process to release the bonnet/hood

The car is parked on a slope, so I don want to be jacking it up and getting underneath it if I can help it.
Old 07-17-2016, 12:37 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Lanark
Hi
I have had a look through the forum, and found some advice but posting a question to get some clarity. So sorry for another post on a topic there has been lots on already. I hope the wisdom of the board can help me.

I have a right hand drive UK car. 2004 986.

So if answers could please state, left or right side, instead of drivers and passengers side that would be most helpful. The other posts all talk about drivers side etc.

The problem is, all my electrics are dead. The car has been sitting for about 3 months as I have been away. I can't get the front and rear boots open. Both switches are dead. The dash is dead.

I have tried connecting another car to the positive post in the fuse box and the door latch. The only response is the alarm going off. Putting the key in the door or ignition does not turn it off.

I left the car connected to the other car for a while. Eventually, the alarm stopped and the electronics under the left hand seat started clicking rapidly. Eventually this stopped too. The carpet under the seat is dry.

So my questions are

1) can I charge the battery using a battery conditioner through the post/door latch?
2) which side is the emergency bonnet / hood release? Left or right side?
3) does anyone have pictures of the process to release the bonnet/hood

The car is parked on a slope, so I don want to be jacking it up and getting underneath it if I can help it.
Do not think you can charge the battery with a battery conditioner connected to the fuse box lug and the door latch.

This is intended solely to provide some electrical power to enable the electric front trunk latch release to work and to allow you to raise or lower the windows as needed.

Connect 12V power via the fuse box lug and then connect the negative lead ot the door latch and after a moment or two you should be able to open the front trunk via the rocker switch.

You won't be able to start the engine via the is power source.

Once you have the front trunk lid open you can recharge the battery. In your car's case I suspect this will be a waste of time, at best a short lived solution, as because the battery has been fully discharged this has probably rendered the battery pretty much dead.

Best to just replace the battery with a new one of the proper type and size.

Then make a mental note to use the car often enough to keep the new battery topped up or arrange to connect a battery charger/maintainer/conditioner when the car is between uses.

Oh, I do not recall where the emergency hood latch release is located.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:20 PM
Lanark
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
I have been through what the manual says. Everything is dead. I know I can't start it through the fuse box, but can I put a battery conditioner on it to try and retrieve the battery?

If not what other options to pop the hood?
Old 07-17-2016, 04:36 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Lanark
Hi
I have been through what the manual says. Everything is dead. I know I can't start it through the fuse box, but can I put a battery conditioner on it to try and retrieve the battery?

If not what other options to pop the hood?
I can't recommend you even try to charge the battery via the fuse box power lug. I do not know what this can possibly do to the car's electrical system.

My guess is you'll find the battery quite dead and will be unable to resurrect it. (But worry about this once you get the trunk lid open.)

Did you try connecting 12V power through the fuse box lug and then using the door latch catch as the ground to supply the car with enough juice to pop the front trunk lid?

If you haven't done this I'd advise you give it a try. Be sure to follow the instructions in the owner manual.

If this doesn't work then the emergency release is the only other way I know of to open the front trunk lid but I do not know where the emergency release cable is located other than it is located somewhere aorund the front of the car. (Sorry for stating the obvious.) I've seen it a few times the bumper cover has been off my car but I can't recall its location. And I never followed the advice of others who recommend rerouting this to make it easier to get to just in case.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:22 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Hunt under the front of the front wheel fender liner on the LHD cars. AND FIT an EXTENSION so you can find it next time.
Then you can charge or replace the battery. Be prepared for all manner of misbehavior from the "security" system. There must be a much better answer than mine in an FAQ somewhere?
You will probably need to remove the front wheel to remove the liner if you are virgin at this game.
While you are in there ,remove the entire front and clan out the crud that accumulates between the rads and a/c condensers.

Quick Reply: Dead electrics-2004 986 RHD UK car