Sponsored by:

Boxster roof not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 11:11 AM
928S4DUBAI
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Boxster roof not working

My 2000 S's roof will not operate, I susspect the parking brake senser as the windows drop when the latch is opened. There is a momentary wuur noise behind the seats when the roof switch is operated , should I remove and change the senser or is there anything else I should look at first?

Chris
Old 04-21-2016, 11:28 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by 928S4DUBAI
My 2000 S's roof will not operate, I susspect the parking brake senser as the windows drop when the latch is opened. There is a momentary wuur noise behind the seats when the roof switch is operated , should I remove and change the senser or is there anything else I should look at first?

Chris
Well, I'm not a top expert but the fact the windows drop when you open the top latch suggests the parking brake sensor/switch is working.

Try opening the latch without setting the parking brake.

That you hear whirring noises behind the seats for a moment but nothing happens suggests the drive system that folds/opens the top is broken. IIRC a gear can come loose but don't quote me.

I'm am not sure how one goes about confirming this. While you can open the top, at least put it in service mode position manually -- I've never done this only remembering (vaguely) from past discussions -- you want to be careful when you then operate the top with the hardware exposed you don't get the open/closing system out of phase (?) with the top and the clam shell.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:36 AM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

does your dashboard parking brake light come on when the brake is set?
Old 04-23-2016, 02:17 AM
928S4DUBAI
Instructor

Sometimes the handbrake light comes on with the brake applied sometimes not, also the rear trunk light is on until the car is moved...
Old 04-23-2016, 04:11 PM
928S4DUBAI
Instructor

I have now delved into the guts of the hood and finally have it down manually. Looks like the dampers may have seized and damaged one or both of the gears (will remove and open up the the cases) The gearboxes seem to work ok without the load of the roof . I purchased this car as a project with a non operating roof, shot clutch etc so I guess there have been a few failed attempts to fix the problems already..... Could be awhile before we will be roaring around a circuit in her!

Chris
Old 04-25-2016, 04:24 AM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 928S4DUBAI
Sometimes the handbrake light comes on with the brake applied sometimes not, also the rear trunk light is on until the car is moved...
if the handbrake light doesn't always come on, definitely replace the switch. also, the light on the dash you are talking about that only goes out when the car is moved is most likely your spoiler light. that behavior is normal.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:48 PM
928S4DUBAI
Instructor

Yes, you're right about the spoiler light, the handbrake switch, I will change.

Quick Reply: Boxster roof not working