Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxter S vs. 993 buy/Most bang for buck?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 01:48 PM
Lenman
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxter S vs. 993 buy/Most bang for buck?

Hello all, New member and first post. Looking for some opinions on P car purchase. Thinking of selling my 02 M3, SMG to a friend who wants it bad. Love the car, but I live 3 miles from work and put about 5k a yr on my car. In the last 2 years I went from a new 02 M3, sold it (5kmiles) to buy a much pricier house and then that deal fell through. Heartbreaking I sold the car for nothing. Couldn't stomach paying another 60k (out the door) so I bought a G35 coupe w 6 speed. Great car for 35k but the styling never grew on me, so I bought a used M3 same as my previous w 12k miles. I love it, but also would love a lower payment since I"m now doing an addition on my house. I pretty much have it sold to a friend for 47k.

All that said (boring) I'm figuring to spend 35k for either a 00 Boxter S or a 993. I've found several low mile cars of each in that range. I"m looking at the two from...

1)Investment value- Boxter may have more near term depreciation due to new model around the corner and the sheer # of em out there, whereas the 993 may have taken more of it's hit in this area?
2) Concept of a newer more modern car (3 yrs. old) w some warranty left vs. older car w no warranty left and less creature comforts (so I read)
3) Fun factor. I will most likely not have the opportunity to track the car, and I live in SoCal so a convertable would get a lot of use.

I drove a Boxter S last week and was able to drive some twisties on a beatiful day, and I thought it was a blast. I haven't driven the 993 yet, will have a chance to drive a nice 1 owner one w 30k miles on monday. Back seat is a bonus for my small kids in a pinch, but I have other cars so not a necessity. I did own a 84 Carerra years ago, but I"m guessing the 993 is a whole 'nother world from it.

Any advice about the differences would be greatly appreciated. I'm getting killed on taxes but I'm an addict who tends to change cars regularly for no real good reason other than as soon as I get one toy, soon after I start fiending for another. (I was like that w women too, but that a story for another day) Just in case you think I"m a died in the wool BMW dude, I've had many of both brands and love em both! Cars over the last 8 years are...

90 4 runner (gave to my kid)
84 944 sold
85 944 sold
86 944 Turbo sold and missed greatly!
84 Carerra Targa
95 M3 Avus Blue sold
97 M3 new Boston Green sold
95 Volvo Turbo Wagon (wifes, for sale)
02 M3, smg, tiSil sold
03 G35 6 spd Coupe Silver sold
96 Landcruiser (wifes freshie)
02 M3 smg, ??? ti Sil

I don't want to add up the taxes paid, I need help! Hoping the next one will be the one for at least 2-3 years or longer. Pro and con of the Boxster S vs. 993 please, investment angle and older vs. newer. I've read most of the previous post on the subject. Thanks again Len
Old 09-26-2003, 04:07 PM
craigg
Instructor

You seem to have covered pretty much everything.

Boxster S - better handling, ragtop, modern convenieces, possible warranty (and if you lease/but from Porsche dealer, you may get an extended!), 2 seater, two trunks (a underrated and very valuable feature)
993 - air-cooled classic, back-seat (of sorts), less conveniences, possible maintenance costs, possibly a bit quicker, certainly not a better handler,

IMHO they both will continue to depreciate, and the 2000/2001 are staring to flatten out now. It is also a "market" issue - who wants waht will drive price. If there is a slight upturn in the eceonomy, I suspect the more modern cars will become more desirable.

I went from an air-cooled 911 to a Boxster S - not a single regret!!!!
Old 09-28-2003, 02:37 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will have to respectfully disagree with Craigg on the assumption of the Boxster becoming more disireable if the economy were to upturn. The 993 is one of the more disireable Porsches because it is the pinnacle of the air cooled flat 6. The exterior is a personal thing.

Also, comparing the handling virtues of your 1984 Targa as representative of a 993 is not a fair assessment.
Old 09-28-2003, 05:42 PM
craigg
Instructor

I wasn't comparing it to "my" 1984. I just said I have never regretted moving to the Boxster (S) from an air-cooled.

As for depreciation, it is a reality for virtually all cars, even the venerable 993, and it tends to become more and more a specialty car as time goes on. This reduces the available market size and therefore is a double edged sword when considering what to buy. Rarity could increase value but make it harder to sell.

I think the 993 is a great car. I have driven a 1996 993 TT AWD a few times and wouldn't say a bad thing about it. But the Boxster S is definitely more modern and gives it a good run for the money (in handling, but not in acceleration!).

Whatever.
Old 09-29-2003, 01:07 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did not interpret your original post that way. I do agree that depreciation has hit all Porsches and my point being that the 993 would probably hold up a little better than the Boxster due to it's "air cooled heritage" and the fact that Porsche produced so many more Boxsters.

There is no doubt the Boxster is a great car...looks, handling. top down motoring, sound and modern creature comforts.

Quick Reply: Boxter S vs. 993 buy/Most bang for buck?