Coolant bleed valve install

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 11:08 PM
Greg S
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant bleed valve install

Hi all,
I'm a member from the old days but a newcomer to the Boxster board. I have searched archives here and elsewhere but haven't quite found the answer to my question. Here are the facts: i have a 98 Boxster, stock w/ 46K. The car has been running fine, but the coolant bleed valve on the aftermarket coolant tank (replaced last spring) was of poor quality and was nearly useless. So a couple of weeks ago I decided to replace it w/ the OE bleed valve.

I replaced the bleed valve and thought I installed the new one in the same orientation as the old one. I did notice that the o-rings separated from the new bleed valve in transit so I had to install them as best I could determine the pattern of the old valve's layout.

I noticed a day or two later that some of the coolant had drained onto my garage floor after I drove the car. I added a bit and didn't think much of it, but after investigating I now see that if the coolant tank cap is installed, pressure seems to build in the tank, causing coolant to drain out of the overflow tube. If the cap is off the tank, there is no pressure build up and no leakage out the drain tube.

Logic dictates that the last thing I did to the car is the problem. So that points to incorrectly installing the bleed valve. However, I don't know if there IS a right way or wrong way to install the valve so long as the bolt holes line up. Any ideas as to what I did incorrectly that is causing pressure in the tank to build up and drain coolant out the overflow tube?

I am traveling until Friday so I can't look at the car until then. Thanks in advance for the input.
Greg

Quick Reply: Coolant bleed valve install