M96.24 engine: mystery part

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 10:50 AM
sf66
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M96.24 engine: mystery part

Hello everybody,

I'm halfway into my M96.24 (MY2003 3.2L Boxster S ROW) engine rebuild. It suffered from intermix from a D-chunk failure (cyl. 2). I've sent it to LN for repair and 3.8L upgrade. With new R&R con rods, FVD oil baffle, additional scavenge pump, larger TB and so on.

I was looking for parts to mount and I found the part in the picture below. I can't remember where it goes/comes from ? I have two identical ones. I though it could come from the heads since I have two. It fits into the hole for the Variocam actuator above the oil strainer but it doesn't belong there... I wonder if it belongs to my engine or if it came back from the machine shop with the heads ?

I've searched the PET, the WSM, the pictures I took during taking apart, resetted my main memory twice to no avail...

HELP It drives me crazy.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:18 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

This fits inside the intake camshaft, near the vane cell adjuster. You can't just reinstall it, as it will lead to an improperly functioning variable valve timing system.

With both of these removed, installing them is just one challenge, the other is phasing them correctly so oil can still pass through the camshaft and enter the vane cell adjuster.

The PET won't show them, because they are considered a part of the camshaft.

I love playing "name that part". My next challenge is to assemble an M96 blind folded.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:46 AM
sf66
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you

Thank you Jake. I was lost...

Now I have to find how to put it back where it came from...

Quick Reply: M96.24 engine: mystery part