Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to "test drive" a 1999 that doesn't start...

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 03:08 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by alphanumeric
Well, as a 'low ball offer' I suggested that to make it worth my hassle I'd need $2k plus the Boxster for the Benz... It seems like he may go for it after being frustrated with dealing with craigslist flakes and the like. I figure at this price, I can try a few cheaper fixes and if it doesn't work out, slowly part it out over the winter and be on the lookout in the spring. :-) I figure I would probably learn quite a bit about the car in the process, too.

Updates to follow later this week...
Well, if you like the deal...

The Boxster even running is (based on what the NADA site has to offer) worth around $4450 in rough trade in condition.

I would think the Boxster's non-running condition would dis-qualify it for that high a valuation, drop it down to "roller" status and a few years ago the 2.5l cars were going wanting at around $3K as rollers.

Your 2001 E320 comes in at around $4600 for an average trade in condition, for which I believe it would be qualified.

So the other guy gets rid of an older (1999) non-running car with 120K miles on it and gets a newer (2001) lower miles (61K) running M-B -- with the M-B worth more due to it being newer, with lower miles, and in running condition, and pays just $2K in cash.

Sweet deal. For the other guy.

But if you like the deal.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:02 AM
Sapientoni
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Won't start reason

If the engine spins well you should consider the possibility of gross overheating damage. This will anneal the piston rings n give too low compression for combustion. Starter fluid can support self igniting combustion at 2 to 1 compression so don't get excited at a snort or three using that stuff.
Old 07-14-2015, 01:18 PM
alphanumeric
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went back for another look and to try to take codes, play around with a few other things and see how much I really "liked the deal."

My little OBD reader didn't take any codes, but the CEL was on. I'll take the advice of you experienced ones and let this one go, even despite the $ offer, and just start saving a bit here and there for a properly sorted one. A video for anyone interested:

Old 07-14-2015, 01:27 PM
Sapientoni
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sounds

As I could best hear, that sounds a lot like a freewheeling engine. A compression check would point to whats wrong, but it will probably be badly expensive regardless.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:30 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sapientoni
As I could best hear, that sounds a lot like a freewheeling engine. A compression check would point to whats wrong, but it will probably be badly expensive regardless.
That "freewheeling" behavior is typical for an engine that does start. It can be a bit disconcerting. I know when my Boxster's fuel pump failed when I tried to start the engine it cranked surprisingly fast almost like there was little compression. This comes from once the engine is spinning the energy required to compress the air in the cylinder is almost all recovered by the compressed air pushing down on the piston. After the fuel pump was replaced the engine was just fine.

However, the concern by not being able to subject the engine and the car to a thorough used car checkout because the engine doesn't run still exists and to me makes this car only viable as a roller purchase.

While there is the possibility a fuel pump would resurrect the engine and then one would discover everything else is ok it is a roll of the dice.

To me it is a bit troubling the seller has not had the fuel pump replaced as this is not the most expensive job in the world and would turn the car from a roller into a runner and assuming the car in otherwise good condition would have buyers willing to plunk down more money over and above roller money that would more than cover the cost of the fuel pump R&R.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:32 PM
Macster
Race Director

Just a head's up for next time. Connect the seat belt and close the door to eliminate the warning chimes so one can hear the engine more clearly.

Also, while I don't think there is much value to this in this case you would want to crank the engine longer, maybe 10 seconds or so. Wait some time -- minutes -- before cranking the engine again to give the starter time to cool down.

Quick Reply: how to "test drive" a 1999 that doesn't start...