Sponsored by:

HotLap installation

Old 09-04-2003, 02:47 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HotLap installation

I'm looking for some ideas on how and where to attach my HotLap in car timer. For Autocrosses I can attach the receiver to the roll bar and put the display in the center console (or whatever it's called). But for Time Trials the top has to be up so attaching the receiver to the roll bar will not help. Plus I would like to be able to check my lap times as I'm driving, so reaching into the console will not work. The timer did come with a Velcro patch but I would prefer not to have that stuck to the car semi-permanently.

What have you guys/gals done to solve this issue?
Old 09-06-2003, 03:27 AM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just in case anyone is interested. I stopped by my mechanic today and I'm going to have them fab up some parts. The receiver will mount to my BK extension and stick out just enough to clear the top. Then I'll have a sheet metal brace that I can zip-tie to the cup holder. I think it will work out well. I'll try and post some pics once it's all finished.
Old 09-06-2003, 09:38 AM
Q
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mike

do you have any pics of the equipment its self?
I have never seen one.
Old 09-06-2003, 05:15 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Q: I didn't get it at this site, but here's a pic and some info about it.

I just got the in car portion (display and receiver) since my club has a trasmitter that is setup at most of the events I attend.
Old 09-24-2003, 11:05 AM
smayster
Rennlist Member

I was just looking to buy a HotLap... can anyone recommend- should I get the small console or the regular-size one. It looks like the screen is the same size for both. Thanks.

Scott
Old 09-24-2003, 11:17 AM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

I got the regular sized one, which houses the battery in the console instead of the receiver. Which enables me to manually trigger it if I need to. If I get to an event that doesn't have timing equipment (i.e. DE) or it's not setup yet (practice day at a TT) I can still time myself.

The small console is nice and small, but houses the battery in the receiver so you can't operate the console independantly of the receiver.

So I guess it depends. If you know all your events are going to have timing equipment setup, and it will not bother you when/if they don't you can use the small console. On the other hand if you think there is an off chance that you will need to time yourself on occcasion, you may want to consider the larger console.

Hope that helps,
Old 09-25-2003, 10:23 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts
Lightbulb

At Schattenbaum's last DE at Summit, I ran into an instructor who mounted a stopwatch into his 993 with this nifty arm from cyclegadgets.com. I'm not sure how well it would work with a larger and heavier Hot Lap display but it seemed pretty sturdy. This guy mounted the arm on the underside of the upper dash, so that the hole would be barely visible if you needed to remove it.
Old 10-04-2003, 02:42 PM
Jean-Marc
Racer

Default Hot lap in 996

I use 2 tie wraps and wire the receiver around the top seat belt anchor point (around the plastic cover). I then route the phone wire behind the seat and along the center concole. For the receiver, I bought a bloc of styrofoam at Walmart for which I make an interference fit with the bottom "holder" under the CD holder trays. I then velcro the display to that styrofoam bit. Never had any issues with this set-up and it installs and removes in less than 5 minutes with no trace that it ever was there when I remove it
JM

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HotLap installation