Sponsored by:

Engine Replacement/Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2003, 04:14 PM
ToDngrS
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine Replacement/Warranty?

Need advice regarding engine replacement & warranties. 2001 Boxster S, 44k miles, daily driver, 10 PCA DEs per year. The initial symptoms where a difficulty when in neutral, shifting into 1st. Occasionnaly I would have to double clutch, or shift twice to get it into 1st. During the 45k checkup, dealer said it was the clutch, in addition the RMS and intermediate shaft seal(?) was replaced. The problem persisted, the trans is replaced, care of warranty. When I get it back, a rumbling roar is present when in lower gears & lower rpms.

A review of the computer print outs show 27,000 engine cycles over 7,000. I'm told something internal is wrong w/the engine, but dealer isn't sure, until they take it apart & they're not taking it apart until it is determined who is going to pay.

Dealer is stating Porsche may not cover due to high milage, 44,000, as well as the track time. Currently, Porsche is waiting to review the computer printout, which was sent back w/the trans, to determine their participation.

I'm active in the PCA club, the original owner, have had regular scheduled maintenance done, female, & this is my 1st Porsche.

Any recommendations on how to convince Porsche to cover the engine???
Old 10-04-2003, 07:05 PM
craigg
Instructor

Only two things count in your report - you are under 50,000 miles and 4 years.

DE is not abuse (real racing MIGHT be) and I find the count of over 7,000 rpms interesting because, with the rev limiter, it doesn't matter! Either find another dealer or suggest this one READ their own warranty! Unless you've chipped the car and exceeded the rev limiter, there is no question as to who is going to pay. Porsche!

Good luck.
Old 10-04-2003, 09:48 PM
Investigator
AutoX

QUOTE]Originally posted by craigg
I find the count of over 7,000 rpms interesting because, with the rev limiter, it doesn't matter!
Good luck.
[/QUOTE]

Actually, it might. I can't speak for how Porsche will handle this, but with BMW, which has a problem with the new M3 motors blowing up, they dump the computer to find out the max revs. Lots of cars have seen revs higher than the rev limiter, and these can occur with missed shifts -- specifically, downshifting too early on the track, so that the revs are too high in the lower gear. Obviously, it can also happen by stuffing it into 1st instead of 3rd at 70mph too.

In the case of BMW, when a car comes back with an indicated overrev, what they seem to be doing is pulling the head and inspecting the valves. Overrevs would cause bent valves (not complete rod bearing failure, which seems to be the actual M3 problem). If there is no valve damage, then they usually cover the replacement under warranty.

You didn't say if the computer indicated an overrev (peak revs significantly above the rev limiter). If it does, and if the odd engine behavior is caused by bent valves, then it is arguable that this problem was caused by driver error. At least, Porsche may attempt to argue that.

Good luck getting your engine covered under warranty!

Quick Reply: Engine Replacement/Warranty?