Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004

Broken Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003 | 12:36 AM
stevefarnham
2nd Gear

Angry Broken Boxster

My 99 Boxster quit last week while driving to work. 5 months after warranty expired and 2 months after having dealer perform 45000 mile service. Dealer says he pulled the plug and the motor is locked up. I need a new motor. Any suggestions on what actions I should take? thanks, Steve
Old 08-26-2003 | 07:13 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dear Steve,
There is no action you can take until you find out what exactly happened. I do not believe you need a new motor. The existing one is repairable. You cannot sit back and just take a new motor unless you have very deep pockets of course. I would advise you contact PCNA in Atlanta assuming you are in the USA because you do not tell us where you are. If you are in the UK which I doubt because you would have said OPC and not dealer you contact the PCGB. Other countries you contact your importer. Tell them the story and work out some kind of deal on costs etc. The key issue is the cause of the failure. If you can show Porsche it really was their fault they may help you out. Of course if it was a users fault then you are on your own.
However get the old engine stripped down, find the cause and then look at a repair first. I would never accept the comment "you need a new motor".
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 08-26-2003 | 11:04 AM
Q
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I have heard of porsche doing "out of warranty" claims - when:

- the issue is clearly a fault of the car - not abuse etc..
- the dealer has been happy to work with the customer & submit a warranty claim
Old 08-26-2003 | 10:27 PM
Sean M.
Instructor

I would petition PCNA for coverage.

I had problems with my low mileage (24000 miles) BMW just AFTER the warranty expired. BMW came through and compensated me for the problems. I would expect Porsche to do the same in your case, especially if you are the original owner of the car.

Go to PCNA!
Old 08-27-2003 | 12:05 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

Would you mind sharing a few bits of information. What was the oil level when the engine "locked up". Was there an overheat issue, low coolant or other leak, inop fan? Was there a gradual slow down of engine speed and then a no start or did you slide to the side of the road with the clutch pushed in? Of course there are many reasons an engine will shut down from a broken timing chain to the computer zapping out to just a simple fuel pump issue. If the come through with a new engine good for you and IMHO they should. These water cooled engines should go 300,000 no problem. Just look at the air-cooled longevity track record.
Old 08-28-2003 | 04:10 PM
stevefarnham
2nd Gear

Happy ending. Porsche is sending me a new motor. dealer suspects a valve went bad. there was no indications of any failure, no oil leaks, no smoke, etc. the engine hesitated slightly and the car just stopped.
My Boxster should be back in service next week.
Old 08-28-2003 | 09:04 PM
Q
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

excellent
Old 08-29-2003 | 12:31 AM
Turboflyer
Pro

Thats real good news and promotes faith in the product.....glad for ya.

Quick Reply: Broken Boxster