Sponsored by:

Back in the Saddle!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 04:22 AM
HereIam
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back in the Saddle!

I just got back into a Porsche, after several painful years without. I've driven an 89 C4 and a Cayenne S, but I've been without a Porsche for about 5 years and I've been suffering miserably.

I've been saving to buy a 3.0 or 3.2 911, but my brother-in-law offered me his 1997 Boxster for well under trade-in value, and a scratch of my 911 savings. I decided to try it...I'm assured by every Boxster owner I won't be disappointed, so you're all on-the-hook

One of the reasons I decided to go this route is I'd like to get on a track this time around. I'm willing to devote a small budget to make the car more "track worthy" as-needed, but really don't want to invest much more than I already have. Suggestions on bare-minimum upgrades to make my track experience better?
Old 12-23-2014, 04:46 AM
HereIam
Advanced

Here's some advice that came from ammonman, from a previous post. Seems like he knows what he's talking about. What's the "bare minimum" from this list of goodies?

Change the water pump ($300 for parts), all four wheel bearings($200 for parts) and all the fluids if unsure of when they were last done. Install an underdrive pulley ($160 plus a shorter serpentine belt) for the crank to slow the PS pump down a little and extend it's life at sustained high RPM. When you install the water pump also install the oil cooler ($125) from an "S" model along with the center radiator ($500-$1000 depending) from an "S". Finally, consider installing one of the many deep sump covers to add some more oil capacity to the system.
Old 12-23-2014, 04:47 AM
HereIam
Advanced

P.S.
ammonman suggested changing the water pump because this car I'm getting may have a bit of a leak. The suggestion wasn't meant to be for enhanced performance.
Old 12-23-2014, 05:22 PM
onewhippedpuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No reason to change wheel bearings unless they are making noise. No reason to change water pump unless it is leaking. Under drive pulley can cause problems and won't help a thing, most Porsche engine builders recommend against them. Adding cooling and the deep sump are really only necessary for extended track time, if you are just doing the occasional autocross or DE you'll be fine.

The most important thing is to insure that the car is up to date on maintenance. Plugs, filters, belt, fluids, good brake pads, brake bleed, good tires with a recent date code. Basically the same stuff to insure that it's a reliable driver.

You'll love the 986. For pure driving fun I'll take a Boxster over any 911 I've owned.

Quick Reply: Back in the Saddle!