Sponsored by:

Any tall Boxster drivers out there???

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 11:46 AM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Any tall Boxster drivers out there???

It's possible that I might have an opportunity to buy a Boxster in the near future. I have yet to drive one, but I have sat in one. I'm 6'4", and I find that with the seat all the way back, the back of my head hits the roll bar. To avoid that, I have to pull the seat forward to the point where my legs are bent a bit much. If I want a Boxster, will I have to live with this, or are there any tricks to make the Boxster more comfortable for a guy who can dunk?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 08-10-2003, 05:57 PM
Sean M.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One idea to to switch to the factory GT3 seat. It's more difficult to get in/out of on a daily basis....but supposedly yields a couple inches of headroom. Plus, it's lightweight and very supportive.

If you need even more room, there's a Brey-Krauss "tall man bracket" that allows you to mount the GT3 seat directly on the floorboard - yields at least 6 additional inches of headroom. (!) That will accomodate even the tallest drivers.

I wish that Porsche would make these solutions more readily available.

Last edited by Sean M.; 08-11-2003 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-11-2003, 10:34 PM
Gundo
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm 6'2" and 195 lbs. I figure I am just about at the max size for a comfortable seating position in the car. 6'4" is probably just too much without some sort of seat modification.

I've checked those GT3 seats out, and they do give more headroom, but at $1,600, I'm looking at other options.

Also, a couple of dudes have had rear-end collisions, where their heads have konked into the roll bar pretty hard.

My 951 had so much room, the 986 feels a bit confining. But the handling is no comparison, justifying the upgrade.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:49 AM
EricT
Intermediate

$1600 is pretty steep. Maybe just one GT3 seat on the driver side?

I'm 6'3" and have the same issue. I'm worried about a rear-end crash too.

Would new foam (harder & thinner) in the seat be much help? Not sure how thick it is in the first place. How about mounting brackets for the stock seat, anything available out there?
Old 08-12-2003, 11:47 AM
Sean M.
Instructor

Porsche now offers an option in which the seat foam is shaved by a few mm. (They charge an obscene price for this option.)

In theory you could have an upholstery shop shave foam from the seat. They would have to open up the seat, remove foam, then restitch the leather. You would gain maybe half an inch.

It's too bad about the cost of the GT3 seats. Perhaps there is a quality aftermarket choice? (Recaro, Corbeau, Sparco)
Old 08-12-2003, 01:27 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Although I really like the Boxster, I feel it will be too small for you. 6'2", I would have thought 6 foot, 50 percentile person is about the max for comfortable touring; Otherwise you will always be against the stops with no room for adjustment. If you are not 50th percentile, long torso or legs, then you will be very uncomfortable on an extended trip. My wife at six foot and thin, has the seat all the way down and back (headrest against the mesh). Not sure if anything can be gained in seat mounting height.
Old 08-12-2003, 04:38 PM
Steve Wilwerding
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another thing that I've heard helps is to install the GT3 console-delete package. This replaces the area between your shifter and your radio (which with has A/C controls or CD holders) with carpet. It lets you move your legs a little more, and supposedly helps quite a bit.
Old 08-12-2003, 05:46 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Perhaps some kind of foam around the roll bar would be a good investment in case of a rear-ender.

If I bought the Boxster it would probably be something of a garage queen. Don't get me wrong, I'd air it out regularly. However, it probably wouldn't be used for many long trips.

My 944 is extremely comfortable. Plenty of head room (although a bit tight with a helmet on). It is the only car I've ever driven where I don't set the seat all the way back. I move it forward one notch, otherwise my left foot gets fatigued working the clutch.

I need to take a test drive in a Boxster before I make any decision. However, I think a 968 cab is looking more and more like a better choice. I assume it will have all the leg/head room of my 944, and it has more horsepower than a non-S Boxster. On top of that, the 968 would probably cost less than a Boxster (given equivalent mileage, condition, etc.). However, while I think the 968 is a fine-looking car, I must say that I LOVE the looks of the Boxster.

Oh well, this is all probably a fantasy for the near-future at least. The wife and I are looking to spend lots of $$$ on a new home with plenty of land for her equine veterinary practice. So, $20K+ for another Porsche is probably going to have to wait a while.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:25 PM
matt houston
3rd Gear

I'm 6'2" and it is a tight fit...
I wonder if there is any more legroom in a 911.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:06 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Lots more room in a 911 then a Boxster.

Last edited by Alan Herod; 08-13-2003 at 11:07 PM.
Old 08-13-2003, 01:56 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

matt houston-i am 6'7" and drive a tt with no problem. i have had various 911's. a boxster is way too tight for me.
Old 08-14-2003, 01:43 AM
Sean M.
Instructor

There's a guy in California (Robert G) who is something like 6'8" and drives/races a Boxster S. He has the GT3 set and the Brey-Krauss tall man bracket.

It can be done. You just have to be willing to 'take the bull by the horns' and make some changes to the car.

I am 6'2", have the GT3 console delete and LOVE it. I've had it for almost three years and would not go back. You gain a few inches of lateral legroom. It doesn't sound like much, but those few inches equate to a LOT of comfort.

I may take the Gt3 seat plunge. That step would, I think, make the height issue irrelevant.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:39 AM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Is it $1,600 per seat, or $1,600 for the pair????
Old 08-14-2003, 02:13 PM
Steve Wilwerding
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, it's $1600 per seat.
Old 08-14-2003, 04:24 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Anybody know how many Boxsters might already have the GT3 seats? Is it like, extremely rare? or is it an option that maybe 10 or 20% of cars might have?

Is it something that would be found only in newer cars (e.g., post-2000), or might any Boxster have them.

Perhaps another way of getting at my point is this: What are the chances of finding a Boxster for sale that already has this option?

Quick Reply: Any tall Boxster drivers out there???