Sponsored by:

Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 01:53 PM
pbkirby
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Leak

Drove my 04 Boxster s 500 miles this week overnight I found a leak, cleaned it up drove another 50 miles the next day and another leak (pic, wallet in the shot for context). Had the IMS bearing replaced about a year ago with a new clutch and RMS, not a drop of oil until this week. What do you think I have on my hands ? Headed out of town for a week so the car is going to sit for a week before I can crawl under it.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:01 PM
Dave H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you're going to have to stick your head under there and see where it's dripping from.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:26 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We have seen a few cases where the LN bearing flange leaks... Not quite to that extent
Old 05-11-2014, 02:47 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

"What do you think I have on my hands ?"

A week before you can get under the car and id the source of the leak.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:41 PM
pbkirby
Advanced

Default Pic from underneath

seems to be coming from the area wear the engine meets the tranny. Might be the RMS again ?
Attached Images  
Old 05-15-2014, 06:45 PM
pbkirby
Advanced

Default Here is another pic

pic
Attached Images  
Old 05-16-2014, 01:31 AM
Macster
Race Director

Could be RMS but the leak sure seems heavier than the majority of RMS leaks.

Be sure you or a tech thoroughly check for leaks from some other place before you start wrenching on the car.

When my Boxster had what proved to be an RMS the SM got the car on the lift and walked me through the check list of other leak areas. When they all came up negative for leak sign that's when he said it was an RMS.

Just so you know there is always the possibility the leak is from the IMS flange seal or bolts -- still quite a bit heavier than others I've seen -- and it is SOP to replace the IMS end flange and bolts with new/updated ones when the RMS is done.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:17 PM
pbkirby
Advanced

Problem solved, leaking oil pump. A few gaskets and such and should be back on the road this weekend.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:58 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for letting us know .So often threads like this end without a successful resolution shared.
Odd that the pump leaked from gaskets, but not seals.Perhaps seals were the "such" part of your description?Did the mechanic mention anything else like loose bolts for example?
Old 05-25-2014, 06:53 PM
pbkirby
Advanced

Unfortunately that is not the end of the story. When they drained the oil to pull off the pump they found the a "fuzzy drain plug". Looks like some engine wear happening. So much for the investment in the IMS retrofit 2 years/9K ago.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:36 PM
Macster
Race Director

While the fuzziness on the drain plug doesn't look good and that the debris is magnetic (all of it?) neither of these are not enough to condemn the engine.

At least not yet.

The engine was opened up (so to speak) to replace a bearing. Anytime an engine is opened up this always results in more debris in the filter, or in this case at the magnetic drain plug, afterwards.

The oil pump was removed and due to a problem with gaskets/seals. I wonder if this had the gears of the pump not meshing properly or in some other way could have caused wear?

Take the drain plug to a clean drain pan. Use carb cleaner to remove the debris from the drain plug.

Using carb cleaner wash/rinse the debris until it is clean and then pour this onto a clean white paper towel and try to see just what the debris is, what shape the debris is and if it is all ferrous, and so on.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:35 PM
pbkirby
Advanced

Worse fears realized. Apparently the IMS has sheered off from where it attaches to the oil pump. New shaft and oil pump needed. $7K repair. I guess it could have been worse and it could have come apart and taken down the entire engine.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:38 PM
pbkirby
Advanced

Default More pics of the IMS failure

Another picture
Attached Images  
Old 06-06-2014, 01:44 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Jake Raby may be interested in your photo to include in his "modes of failure".He may be able to give you some insight into what caused this unusual failure.
I am in a similar situation to you -need to strip down and rebuild the entire engine. Why? Because whatever failed may have distributed debris into potentially harmful areas.
I'll be posting anything that I find to help with this very expensive repair -parts, equipment, contacts and techniques because I just can't afford the $14k pro rebuild .
Old 06-06-2014, 08:21 PM
pbkirby
Advanced

I've already reached out to Jake. I also called PCNA and the repair qualifies for the IMS Class Action Suit, they will cover 25% of the cost if I have it repaired at the dealer.

Quick Reply: Oil Leak