Sponsored by:

2004 boxster S flywheel bolt torque

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 10:36 PM
JEC
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 boxster S flywheel bolt torque

I have replaced the crankshaft seal and the IMS bearing. The old bearing at 42,000 miles was just fine. I replaced the two chain tensioners at the aft end of the engine. No way to replace the one under the AC compressor without removing the engine. I am much to worn out to do that (I am 75 years old and feel every bit of it :^) ) I have the third new tensioner if anyone wants to buy it at a good price?
I have my new flywheel installed and have torqued the bolts to 19 foot pounds. My current problem is that the Project 101 book says to torque another 120 degrees and the Bentley book says 90 degrees.
Which should I use?
My second concern is that I used the L&N tool set and locked the left bank, looking forward, cam shafts with their tool but had removed the right aft , looking forward, chain tensioner before pining the crankshaft at top dead center. The locking tool fits on the left bank and after turning the crankshaft 360 degrees + about 2 degrees the tool fits into the right bank. Do I have a problem? I posted the torque question on the Pelican list and have not had a response.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:08 PM
landrovered
Intermediate

I recently did the IMSB on my 2004 3.6 with variocam plus, I am assuming that your motor is the same or similar I enough for this to be relevant.

I followed the factory manual on the flywheel bolts which said 120 degrees.

I had some timing issues on my car and from what I experienced with my three chain engine, when bank one is pinned and the crank is pinned, then the marks on bank two should line up perfectly. If they do not then something is amiss, like the chain on bank two might be off a tooth. I would not adopt a "close enough" approach in this instance unless someone with far more knowledge than me eyeballed your car and said it was ok. Remember as long as you don't start the car there is no risk of damage and you can take all the time you want to sort the problem.

Good luck, please report back when you get it sorted.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:43 PM
DennisAN
Advanced

Originally Posted by JEC
the Bentley book says 90 degrees.
Which should I use?
My Bentley manual, on page 30-4, says stage 1 torque 19 ft-lbs, then stage 2 another 120 degrees.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:49 PM
JEC
4th Gear

Thanks guys.
I used 120 degrees. I may have an older issue of the Bentley manual. check it tomorrow.
Not easy to do but I made it.
The spline to pilot bearing plastic guide that I bought from Pelican was a little loose.
I tried for a central position when installing the clutch disk and pressure plate.
I will find out tomorrow if the transmission will slide in.
This project has been a trial and I would recomend having a dealer do it if you are over 60. :^)
Old 03-15-2014, 10:16 PM
DennisAN
Advanced

My Bentley manual is copyright 2010...also notes "Editorial closing 09/2005" whatever that means.

Hey I'm 61 and getting ready to do this job when it stops being cold and rainy.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:42 PM
landrovered
Intermediate

The Porsche factory workshop manual says 120 degrees, why would there even be a debate what Bentley says? 52 years here, I still wrench a lot but I use a lift and don't bend over as much any more.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:31 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by landrovered
The Porsche factory workshop manual says 120 degrees, why would there even be a debate what Bentley says? 52 years here, I still wrench a lot but I use a lift and don't bend over as much any more.
While I would trust the factory manual over what the Bentley manual has to say, one has to be careful.

The factory manual has received various updates/bulletins and what it has to offer on this subject may be out of date, may not the right info. If Porsche changed the bolt part number it could be the tightening/torquing info is different as well.

While I have not done any work of note on my Porsches, back in the day when I did this kind of work and more on my cars resolving conflicting info such as presented by this factory manual vs. Bentley book took some time/effort.

Were I doing this job I'd consult with the parts manager or a senior tech regarding the proper tightening/torquing steps for the flywheel bolts and make sure the info applied to the bolts I had on hand.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:27 PM
DennisAN
Advanced

Personally I have a headache....

The only factory workshop manual I have access to, stating "printed in Germany 1996", on page 30-3 says 90 degrees.

The Bentley copyright 2010 manual, on pages 30-2 and 30-4, says 120 degrees.

Wayne Dempsey's "101 Projects for your Porsche Boxster" gives TWO different specs.
- Page 161 fig. 11 90 degrees
- Page 162 fig. 12 120 degrees

Quick Reply: 2004 boxster S flywheel bolt torque