GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Recently reading

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...l#post15765501

from Flewis763 on the 996 GT2/GT3

----->

topic name : 997 gt3 brake master psm fix

Well I made a comment on another post saying I came up with a fix for the psm failure issue when running the 997 gt3 brake master cylinder. Well I have got a few messages so I will share here.
The theory was that when going to the gt3 master, the larger piston would produce to much flow and trigger a pressure switch inside the psm pump and cause it to trigger a psm and abs failure. This failure would happen for some constant and others intermittent. It would happen less if running the larger 997tt/gr3 rear caliper with larger pistons but would still happen.
So my ideas was to just slightly reduce the pressure and it would fix the problem. We created a test unit and put it on Dan kinzie's car. Dan has run it for over a month as well as 2 full track days and I can confirm it fixed the psm issue.
We setup a jegs brake proportioning valve inline and maxed the pressure on the valve, then backed of just a tiny bit. Only takes about a 5% or less reduction to not trigger the psm failure.
This is something that you can do yourself if you have brake line flaring and bender tools I will be making up a few kits for guys that want to go to a gt3 master but not have the resources to make the lines.

It's simple but works. Any more question, feel free to ask.

<-----

Being one of these, using a performance Master cylinder with a 986 that has a PSM option, since a good number of miles, I do have the infamous PSM error (P4460) but have it on a kind of intermittent “mode” !
(Doing "reset" with Durametric when its happen.)

It is true that since having a TRW PMN166 master cylinder, the brake feel is completely different : No more “Good brakes, ..but, feels a little bit mushy” anymore.
It becomes simply “Fantastic brakes”.
OK, I admit, I’m a brake lover. For me, be able to brake as late as possible, it is a real pleasure. ..Like I’m also a good tire lover ! (just changed our tires in the Cayenne, and I should be of the rare guys that have a Cayenne with 295x35 /21 Pirelli P Zero (yes, “N” spec).

Well, to be back on my Boxster, following the post of Flewis763, I would like to try to install a brake proportioning valve and see if this makes “good bye, it was not a pleasure to see you, Error P4460”.

I found a prop valve that inspired me : a Wilwood one.
(I never heard about the “JEGS” brand, but about a good brakes brand : Wilwood, ..I have heard that many time !)

If I understand well the install, this “trick” is to limit a little bit the pressure on the rear calipers.
It make sense, in my case, I have huge 6 pistons caliper on the front, ..and relatively "tiny" ones (OEM) on the rear, so thinking further, having PSM errors for too much pressure (on the rear), could be quite logical.

Well, I will try and see if it will be the end of the PSM error. By the way, as it is continuous pressure adjustment, from zero pressure reduction to about 50% reduction, if not successful, I will not remove it, but simply release any pressure reduction !

I wonder if I’m the only 986’er here on this forum having a TRW PNM166 master cylinder ! (I know that in the 996 forum many have made this great mod.)
Then, I need to find in the Redwood City (CA) area a good brake line “binder”, in order to had the lines well in place in a good manner !!

..and will let you know.

PS: the valve reference is Wilwood 260-8419 - Proportioning Valve - **** Style
Price is in the range of US$ 45.00

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 10-28-2021 at 03:26 AM.
Old 10-30-2021, 12:22 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Just want to post a nice message about Durametric :

Since few years, I'm the happy owner of a Durametric "Enthousiast" kit.
I use it on a regular base with my Boxster, but since these years, I sold the Panamera that I had (have not yet replaced it) and we replaced the Cayenne that we had since good time.
Or : my cable was "fully booked". After a call at the support team at Durametric, I got a great response : Being a customer of the Enthousiast kit, and as it was my first call for a demand about how to extend the use of this cable, I was offered a free reset of my cable. (Like they says in tennis : "New ***** !")
I think this is a great commercial attitude and I feel that it is good to report such point here.

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 10-30-2021 at 05:04 AM.
The following users liked this post:
pilot4fn (10-30-2021)
Old 10-30-2021, 05:10 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Anybody here faced "Error 9114" ?
(PCM control unit )
I have this one under "Instrument Cluster K21", by the way, which is not the OEM Boxster 3 gauges cluster, but my adapted 5 gauges (from a 2003 996 donnor)
(VIN and odometer have been properly set.)
Any idea what could be the source of this error ?
Let's add that the radio CD is the original.

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 10-30-2021 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-08-2021, 04:21 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Yesterday : PCA Golden Gate Region Concours Elegance at Porsche Redwood City !

I decided to make a come back 3 years after my very first experiment on such concours.
So, my 2001 Boxster, that I own since January 2014 (7 years), ..will get my 3rd complete wash and polish session !
(I got a good excuse : having no real waterproof roof, I have no way to go through any of the local automated wash services !!)

So, hand wash, hand polish, hand vacum cleaning, associated with all the other little "corners" to be hand cleaned and ..then, en route for Redwood City Porsche to meet the judges.
Arriving on the spot, ..placement :

Then, arriving the judges :

and then, much later, ..the results , guess what ???

Better than 3 years ago !
and this with comments that I should bring this car to the Rennsport Reunion !

Well, this was a great experience, and would like to express my deep thanks to all the PCA teams (GGR and other sections) as well as all the great team and the owner of Redwood City Porsche.

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 11-08-2021 at 11:00 PM.
Old 11-30-2021, 11:37 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Reading my post again, I realized that I forget the "title" : For those that are thinking to install or have already installed a larger Master Cylinder, (a mod that drastically change the feeling of the brakes), i.e.: TRW PMN166, this mod can generate an error, ..and that error do disable the ABS as well as PSM. This is all, but not a nice to have !!

Being back to an old subject, and even if I could say that I have been quite lucky with the infamous “Error 4460* (it happen to me 4 or 6 time a year !) I decided to try to implement the “pressure limiter” mod proposed by @Flewis763
By the way, for memory, his link is here : https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...l#post15765501

As mentioned above, I bought a Wilhood adjustable pressure limiter and now, I did all the fixations and hole into the “cover”.
It looks now like that (I build a aluminum corner to fix it) and now, the last part will be to build the right two pipes (in from the rear of of the master Cylinder and out from valve limiter to the PSM pump (in my case it is located in the other side).
After that, I will do a total brake flush, ..and then I hope that it will be “good bye Error 4460 !”
According to the author of this post, reducing a bit the largest pressure produced by this MC on the circuit that goes on the rear brakes, should enable to stop the "over pressure" signal detected by the sensor of the PSM pump on this circuit.
Well, will try and will see !

Mounting :

Or from the front of the car :

After having the cover back in place :
(..Yes, I missed the exact position for center of the needed hole !! , ..will have to get a "second chance".)

latest news : now, I got a "spare" cover, so, one of these days, I will use my second chance and try to drill a hole in a better position !

Now, I have the choice : buying the pipe bending tool as well as the bubble tool, ..and make these myself, or find a good shop specialized in doing so, knowing that in both cases, after this job, moving the car will be possible only after a very good flush !

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 12-28-2021 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-28-2021, 06:13 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

One may ask what I did with my 3 gauges original instrument cluster ?
It is now a "mural", that I have on the wall in the back of one of my computers

...Happy new year to all of you !

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 12-28-2021 at 06:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Snakebit (12-29-2021)
Old 02-27-2022, 03:45 AM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Recently, I decided to put this car for sale !
You can find it here on the "Rennlist Marketplace" :
https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1290477

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 02-27-2022 at 03:48 AM.
Old 06-02-2023, 11:11 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

Going to be outside of the country for few months, I decided to remove the car from the "market place".
By the way, I had so little interest, that get the feeling that I will simply keep this car !

Trying to keep some of the last photos (and testing/testing the repository service of our forum) to show the car in its current development !

Last edited by GVA-SFO; 06-03-2023 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-03-2023, 02:11 PM
GVA-SFO
Rennlist Member

I wonder if I'm the only one suffering of having used photo repository web service that closed business ?
When you used those over long thread/topic, ..you loose the photos, and this is a pain for the these type of topic.
In this particular case, when I see close to 40'000 views, I feel, by respect of the viewers, that the lost of all of these photos is a pity.
I would be ready to refresh these, ..but after some time, the "edit" on post are disabled, ..so these edits are not possible.
This seems to show that the "long" history-topics cannot be maintained !
Is this a good thing or not ?
I would be very happy to have your opinion, ..and also, particulalry the one of the moderators of "our" forum.

Quick Reply: PIWIS reading, R1 and R2, then what ??