Sponsored by:

headlight / lights random problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 05:14 PM
kentubman
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlight / lights random problem

I have a problem with the headlights on my 2000 Boxster S. Most of the time (70%??) the left side low beam does not come on. The rest of the time it works fine. Once in a while, neither side works. I have a Canadian car with daytime running lights so they come on without the headlight switch being turned on. I can turn the ignition switch off and on a few times in a row and the behavior does not change (if it was off, it stays off; it was on, it keeps coming on).

I have changed the bulb, the headlight switch, and the ignition switch.
Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:09 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't mean to be captain obvious but the "once in a while neither one works" would make me check all the ground points and connectors for loose fit or corrosion. You might even want to spray a little Breakfree or equivalent on the connectors and refit them. Check the corresponding fuse and relay too, do the same thing, since it works 30% of the time you might get lucky. Check your headlight tray fitment as well, make sure the connector is not being obstructed in any manner when you lock the tray and check the tray itself.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:18 PM
kentubman
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No worries on pointing out the obvious - it's always good to check those things. Grounds and fuses have been checked. I don't know that there is relay. BUT, in looking inside the unit again, I noticed some cracked insulation on the small wires from the 4 wire socket into the main headlight unit. The more I moved those wires, the more the insulation cracked and just fell off. I've replaced them and the light situation has gotten much better. It's still intermittent, but now comes on more than stays off. Of course, who knows how many other wires in there also have bad insulation. It might mean I just need a new unit.

Quick Reply: headlight / lights random problem