Sponsored by:

First time Porsche owner!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 02:53 AM
jcanales925
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time Porsche owner!

Hey guys, I just bought a 2001 boxster s, the 986 if I do remember right.
I'm a newb to the porsche game but come from having a few bmws. This is my 6 or 7 car now but by far my favorite! I'm pretty young (21) and I can't tell you how many ppl hate me right now, but a good half of them are pretty happy for me.
Since it is a used porsche with 114k, is there anything I need to be aware of? The air oil separator just got replaced by the way, I have to pick the car up from the dealer this week. But all in all I'm pretty excited, I just hope I'm not in too much over my head.

Name:  image-1872834446.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  525.7 KB

Any comments or advise would be great!
Old 09-10-2013, 11:41 AM
ep3_lol
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did the AOS on mine and it was a pain, good to have that out of the way. There are a few severe problems the motor can have, but I think it's generally accepted that if they haven't shown up by 114k miles then they are not going to show up. The biggest one that could still be around is a rear main seal leak. This was a recall item, so you shouldn't buy a 986 that hasn't had it done. Enjoy the car! I bought mine when I was 22 and it's been great.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:49 AM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome and congratulations on the purchase Take some more pictures when you get a chance.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:50 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Lapis blue. Just like my 02.

What to be aware of? Well, let's see... be sure the radiator ducts are kept free of trash. This can require the front bumper cover be removed and the A/C condensers unbolted and carefully swung out to allow access to the trash that collects at the bottom of the radiator ducts and between the condenser and radiator.

Mind you take pics of how the bumper cover and other panels fit and note where every fastener is and what type it is so you get the bumper cover put back on right. Techs tell me invariably when a car comes in they can tell when some has been at the bumper cover because the thing is not installed correctly, the wrong screws are used in the wrong holes or some are missing.

Once you have the bumper cover off and the ducts are clean, you can periodically blow the trash out with shop air or a shop vac using the exhaust outlet or even a leaf blower I read.

Be sure the body water drains are kept clear of trash so water from rain or wash can run right out to the ground under the car.

The car is new to you so keep an eye on vital fluids. Oil and coolant are the biggies.

The car has 114K miles and I guess still runs ok so that suggests the car as been well taken care of. My advice would to be continue this. My 02 gets oil/filter services every 5K mile and other services when due and when things go wrong those get taken care of and has over 271K miles on it and the engine still runs just great.

Watch tire wear. Check for feather/scuffing. If you feel any or tire wear is biased to the inner edges of the rear (or front) tires, that's a sign alignment is off. Toe in based on my experience. With a good alignment and some care with the throttle around corners tire life can be 20K miles rears, double that fronts.

Keep the car clean. Avoid parking it under trees to avoid bird mess on the top and plant trash on the car which can get into and block the body water drains.

If any services are due best take care of those.

And enjoy the car.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:20 PM
jcanales925
Cruisin'

Name:  image-1466743854.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  460.6 KB

Name:  image-246381639.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  559.0 KB

The s2k is my coworkers, that was taken the one day I had it at work. But I'm going to be going through this car with a fine tooth comb all the time. Ill check for the water drains like you guys say, and thanks guys! I'm really excited. I haven't gotten to really enjoy it quite yet since the aos problem (2 days after purchase) so I'm actually going back to the dealer tonight to pick it up. More pics to come of course!
Old 09-11-2013, 10:54 AM
gfl
Racer

I'll post the elephant on the table. The Intermediate Shaft Bearing ("IMS") is known to fail,and in fact Porsche has settled a class-action suit without admitting fault.

Bottom line is that if this goes, your motor is toast, to the tune of $12k.

Regularly driven cars with regular oil service have lower incidences than garage queens and especially cars that sit with oil, moist, acid oil that rots the bearing as it sits. So you high mileage DD is on a good track.

That said, next time the tranny i out (clutch, etc) i would run, not walk, to get either:

1. a replacement IMS-B from LN engineering, or
2. a direct-oil-feed kit from pedrosgarage.com

These are durable cars but with one risky, potentially catastrophic, failure mode. eliminate it, change the oil and sleep well.

Grant
Old 09-11-2013, 01:57 PM
jcanales925
Cruisin'

I've heard of this problem from my coworker actually. I hope that it doesn't happen. (Don't we all) but these cars seem to be bulletproof as long as it's taken care of (like most other German cars) and that's what I love about these cars. I come from a bmw background but having this car and driving it really gives me a new appreciation for these cars and it's opening my eyes a lot! Lol
Old 09-11-2013, 10:22 PM
Doc423
8th Gear

I'm a previous BMW M3 owner...called it the "Rocket Sled", until I got my '02 Boxster-S with the Cold Air Induction System...it's the "Ultimate Rocket Sled"...blows away the M3.....I've raced them both.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:33 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 455 Likes on 294 Posts

Congrats! Sock aside some money to pay for inevitable repairs (after all, any car with 114 K miles will begin needing some), and realize that they will be more expensive than a Toyota. If you don't know when the last oil change and coolant flush were, do these ASAP.

Then, most importantly, be sure to enjoy the car!
Old 09-12-2013, 12:21 AM
jcanales925
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Congrats! Sock aside some money to pay for inevitable repairs (after all, any car with 114 K miles will begin needing some), and realize that they will be more expensive than a Toyota. If you don't know when the last oil change and coolant flush were, do these ASAP.

Then, most importantly, be sure to enjoy the car!
Ya I just had the aos changed and oil/filter done at porsche on behalf of the dealer but I need that coolant changed. The maintenance shouldn't be too much more than how it was on bmw right? Oil changed for my e46 were like 125 if I didn't do it myself. But ya it is a higher mileage car so I knew that getting Into it. I took it through some hills today and wow. I love this car! I need to name her any ideas?
Old 09-12-2013, 10:15 AM
ep3_lol
Racer

I've spent less than $250/year on maintenance for mine, but I do my own work and that's not counting what I've spent on tools. The tool cost has been small as well though, maybe $100-$150 over the past two years. One thing- if you are going to do oil changes yourself, spend the $30 on the fitted socket you can find at Pelican Parts or perhaps elsewhere for the cartridge cover. I couldn't get anything else to work.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:50 AM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

If you decide to do the oil changes yourself, we offer a complete Oil Service Kit that includes everything you need. For more information Click Here. As for names.......Betsy seems fitting, but I think the name will come after you get a few more miles under your belt. Any ideas yet?

Old 09-12-2013, 12:29 PM
jcanales925
Cruisin'

That was pretty helpful guys. but even though I drove her all of yesterday no names have stuck out yet. She's still brand new to me but I know it's got to be a female name. My first car was Orion then belle was my e46. It'll come w more miles like you say
Old 09-13-2013, 11:51 AM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

So have you driven your coworkers S2K? Sort of wondering how the comparison was to the Boxster. It seems you get a lot of former S2k owners that eventually come over to the Porsche side.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:59 PM
jcanales925
Cruisin'

No I haven't yet, but I know he put in an intake and exhaust but that's it. I wanna see how it compares as well though

Quick Reply: First time Porsche owner!