Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mini Cooper S or Boxster - the debate rages in my head!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 07:32 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ did you spell Boxster incorrectly (in signature as well) on purpose?
Old 03-15-2013, 12:47 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlap
^ did you spell Boxster incorrectly (in signature as well) on purpose?
I'm thinking that Herr Vonschmidt spells it that way to get attention. But that's just a guess.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:22 AM
981FTW
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol
Old 03-22-2013, 01:34 PM
filastein
Intermediate

If there's not a single voice saying Booxxxssteer in your head, see a shrink.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:59 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VGM911
I'm thinking that Herr Vonschmidt spells it that way to get attention. But that's just a guess.
Well isn't zee Germans who put Boxster on zee rear badge?

or do they call it Carrera Roadster or something else over there?
Old 03-22-2013, 09:06 PM
gmsracing
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Not knowing what kind of Mini it is is a little tough to offer a suggestion. Having just blown up a 944 turbo due to oiling issues on the track and having an '08 CS (like you) that I am scared of blowing up on the track, I would be hesitant of running a Boxster without serious oiling mods. Then you probably still don't have a robust oiling solution. Would a Mini be better? I doubt it. Just saying the Boxster doesn't have a great engine as a starting point. I've come to the conclusion that I wouldn't seriously track a 986 or a 987.1.

I have a '12 JCW Mini and it is really fun around town. Ride is terrible. Torque is really nice. Would make a fun track car; but in the end it still is a front wheel drive car. Much cheaper to maintain than the Porsche.

I guess, honestly, I wouldn't track either car without understanding the Mini's potential track issues. I think the Miata would be more fun in that price range. In fact, maybe that is what I should buy so I don't blow up the CS at the track.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:18 PM
rob76turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gmsracing
Not knowing what kind of Mini it is is a little tough to offer a suggestion. Having just blown up a 944 turbo due to oiling issues on the track.
Just curious since a track modified 944 Turbo is now on the list, tell me about the oiling issued you encountered on the track.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:53 PM
Drsms22
Intermediate

I've had 3 Mini Cooper S's and a Miata. The last Mini Cooper S was a John Cooper Works. Great car around town. Smile on the face all the time. But it isn't a Boxster, which I am in currently. The Boxster feels like a sports car and behaves like one. Mini is fun and cute and can track well...still not a Boxster. But I'd save my pennies for an S if I were you. Wonderful car.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:11 PM
williamr91
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I don't own a Boxster S buuuuut they are a ton of fun. I get giggles out of my 951, esp in 3rd gear (hulls booty, not 100% stock). But the Boxster is even more balanced, and with the roof off and a flat 6 bashing it will put a smile on anyone's face (IMO). The grip is amazing, the corner can be fast, it begs to be driven hard, again I might be crazy hehe.

With that being said it can also be a quiet comfortable ride, A.C works well, heat works, seats warm etc, just a lot of creature comforts that the 951 has, and doesn't do too well, and some it doesn't have. I'm sure the Cooper S is fine, but fwd, front engine to a rwd mid-engine car isn't in the same league in experience IMO. Plus $$$ for smiles, the Boxster S is great value.

Edit: I should state, I don't own one YET give me 2 or 3 months, I'm hoping to find a nice one (under 8k usd) with Terracotta interior, and HOPEFULLY Litronic lights. PM me if anyone reads this and has one in the states. For the price i'm looking at mileage doesn't matter, history does though.

Last edited by williamr91; 04-07-2013 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Forgot something.

Quick Reply: Mini Cooper S or Boxster - the debate rages in my head!!