Sponsored by:

Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 01:56 PM
MoreIBNR
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pads

I have a 986 with "S" brakes. I have come into possession of brake pads for a 987. The rear pads are identical to those for the 986 but the front pads are different in that they have the addition of two "appendages" with what look like weights on them (metal discs). Otherwise the front pads are identical. Does anyone know (before I jack up my car and removing wheel and old pads) if these 987 brake pads will fit and work? Also, what is the purpose of these weights? I guess if I had to I could just cut off those two "appendages."
Old 01-29-2013, 02:42 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by MoreIBNR
I have a 986 with "S" brakes. I have come into possession of brake pads for a 987. The rear pads are identical to those for the 986 but the front pads are different in that they have the addition of two "appendages" with what look like weights on them (metal discs). Otherwise the front pads are identical. Does anyone know (before I jack up my car and removing wheel and old pads) if these 987 brake pads will fit and work? Also, what is the purpose of these weights? I guess if I had to I could just cut off those two "appendages."
I believe all Boxsters come OEM with these vibration dampner weights on the pads. You should be good to proceed but sounds like they could be non-S pads also, so just check part# on company website for fitment verification.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:08 PM
MoreIBNR
Advanced

Thank you for your response.

I'll try them, but, no, the 986 models neither base nor "S" have the vibration dampers, if that is what they are. (Carrera of the same years also did not have them - you can see pictures at Pelican).

Gary
Old 01-29-2013, 03:22 PM
MoreIBNR
Advanced

After looking at Pelican, I am not sure now. I know the KFP pads I have been using do not have the dampers. I guess these will be fine.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:19 PM
MoreIBNR
Advanced

Well, attempting to fit them was a no-go - the spring will not fit between the "ears" that hold the dampeners. Since I got them for such a good price, I am going to remove enough metal to provide room for the springs. It is a pain, but I have the pads.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:44 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by MoreIBNR
Thank you for your response.

I'll try them, but, no, the 986 models neither base nor "S" have the vibration dampers, if that is what they are. (Carrera of the same years also did not have them - you can see pictures at Pelican).

Gary
You can't believe everything you see or read on Pelican. Many errors from "cut & paste" website building!
Old 01-30-2013, 02:16 PM
MoreIBNR
Advanced

True, but I also looked on Suncoast Porsche's website and the "S" seems to have the dampers.

I decided to make them fit. I had the choice of just cutting off the dampers or undercutting them so the spring would fit. I did the latter as I figured if that didn't work I could then do the former. Not at all an easy job (and if I knew all this before obtaining the pads, I probably wouldn't have). I had to cut part of the damper disc and then also notch the "ear." Small cut off disc in my Roto Zip tool did the job (but I had forgotten I had it until I had already done 2 pads with my Dremel tool - now that was a b*tch). Everything seem to fit and appears fine.

Quick Reply: Brake Pads