Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough idle on cold start

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 12:19 PM
ep3_lol
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read from plenty of people that the snorkel delete is benign and possibly even beneficial. It's a mass produced, globally marketed, relatively cheap sports car designed to start up on a whim every day in multiple environments without a problem, how intolerant can the intake system be?

But I am suspect of the STP filter. I bought it and an STP oil filter cartridge at the same time. The oil cartridge had severe glue overrun and did not fit the oil tube at all. I inspected the air filter thoroughly after seeing the oil cartridge and didn't see any problems, but I suppose that is no guarantee. I only installed it because I already had it. Needless to say, I'm not buying anything even remotely motor-related for this car from AutoZone/Advanced Auto/O'reily's/etc again (the taillight bulb I got from O'reily's has been working fine I must say ) except for the oil itself. Barring any major discoveries this weekend, I will order a new air filter from Pelican and clean the MAF sensor again when I install it.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:28 PM
San Rensho
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You need to hook the car up to a durametric and check the operation of the MAF, O2 sensors, check for a vacuum leak, misfires, injector faults etc.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:44 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by ep3_lol
I've read from plenty of people that the snorkel delete is benign and possibly even beneficial. It's a mass produced, globally marketed, relatively cheap sports car designed to start up on a whim every day in multiple environments without a problem, how intolerant can the intake system be?

But I am suspect of the STP filter. I bought it and an STP oil filter cartridge at the same time. The oil cartridge had severe glue overrun and did not fit the oil tube at all. I inspected the air filter thoroughly after seeing the oil cartridge and didn't see any problems, but I suppose that is no guarantee. I only installed it because I already had it. Needless to say, I'm not buying anything even remotely motor-related for this car from AutoZone/Advanced Auto/O'reily's/etc again (the taillight bulb I got from O'reily's has been working fine I must say ) except for the oil itself. Barring any major discoveries this weekend, I will order a new air filter from Pelican and clean the MAF sensor again when I install it.
You think Porsche put the snorkle on for looks?

For weight distribution?

It is there for a reason. To tailor the air flow into the air box and beyond.

The reason the car behaves as you state: "sports car designed to start up on a whim every day in multiple environments without a problem" is because Porsche paid attention to things. It just didn't slap the car/engine/intake system together.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:57 PM
gfl
Racer

Default Air Filters and AoS smoke bombs

I am a bit confused. You wrote:

"I replaced the air filter with an STP unit about 1k miles ago. I thought the MAF sensor might just need a good cleaning, so I cleaned it per the Pelican Parts site's instructions. No change. I've read that an oiled air filter can mess the MAF sensor up, so I am a bit suspicious of the STP unit"

Soo... i read between the lines that this must have some oil, and must be STPs answer to K&N. Yes? No? The fouling comes from foam-type filters that you must apply oil to to make them retain dirt. Like a 1960s lawnmower. if oyu put a paper element in, ignore it (however, i would use hengst, WIX, Mahle or......GM/Delco). My favourite is GM or WIX.

Originally Posted by ep3_lol
So I mentioned that I used an STP brand filter. Are you saying that those are indeed over-oiled? The box did not specify whether it was oiled or not.

Every start-up or sporadically?

Thanks for the response.
As to the AoS - sporadically. Sometimes as you drive, under high G-forces. Mine did it once - ont he track, on a hard left hander - everyone thought my motor blew for sure, including me. Except it was running happily (caugh, caugh)

As it worsens, every start-up when motor is HOT.

Grant
Old 02-08-2013, 09:05 AM
ep3_lol
Racer

Originally Posted by gfl
I am a bit confused. You wrote:

"I replaced the air filter with an STP unit about 1k miles ago. I thought the MAF sensor might just need a good cleaning, so I cleaned it per the Pelican Parts site's instructions. No change. I've read that an oiled air filter can mess the MAF sensor up, so I am a bit suspicious of the STP unit"

Soo... i read between the lines that this must have some oil, and must be STPs answer to K&N. Yes? No? The fouling comes from foam-type filters that you must apply oil to to make them retain dirt. Like a 1960s lawnmower. if oyu put a paper element in, ignore it (however, i would use hengst, WIX, Mahle or......GM/Delco). My favourite is GM or WIX.
I think I said somewhere in here that I wasn't sure if the filter was oiled or not, as the box gave no indication either way. I didn't apply any oil myself, and it was paper. I wasn't aware that you had to oil them yourself. It also didn't appear greasy or anything. I have been dealing with cars for less than a decade and never had anything older than a mid-80s RX-7 so there might some older methods I don't know about
Old 02-09-2013, 09:43 AM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Did you clean out all the junk from the air box when you removed the old filter? I usually take a shop vac and clean it out.

Had a car with a running problem, turned out to be a cigarette butt in the air box that was bouncing around and hitting the MAF.

Quick Reply: Rough idle on cold start