Sponsored by:

99 Boxster Low Beams out - Help please -

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 09:16 PM
Cruzin
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Boxster Low Beams out - Help please -

I have a 99 Boxster with 83,000 miles. Tonight I went to leave the office and noticed the headlights were not working. The DR lamps are lite, light beams work both with the flick of the control and flipped to stay on. The fog lights work fine and were basically my lights home this evening.

Two years ago when something like this happened I replaced the ignition switch and everything was fine after. Not sure if it matters, but last night I recall thinking the lights were dimmer than usual, but didn't think much of it until tonight.

Any ideas? Fuses are good. Search results found a similar problem topic here but in that case the high beams didn't work.

I would guess a relay, but could not find any info on headlight relays. There are regular headlight, not HID's.

Thank you
Old 11-12-2012, 11:20 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

First thing I'd try is to make sure the headlights are securely in place. If one of them is loose, they can give odd issues. If a faulty ignition switch gave you the exact same symptoms 2 years ago, it may be the problem again. It's a mercifully cheap part.

The light switch is a known high-failure item; if not the above, chances are pretty good that it's your problem. It's not difficult to replace, but is a bit over $100 IIRC. Take it out and test it with a multimeter to see if it's operating right. It's not meant to be a serviceable part, but it's fairly simple inside. If you're handy, you may be able to repair it.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:25 PM
Cruzin
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the reply. I will take a look at it this weekend. Any other suggestions?
Old 11-18-2012, 12:09 PM
gfl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My only thoughts are:

1. switch (I've replaced lots in Audis)
2. relay - but you say you can;t locate on in the wiring diagram? I'm surprised
3. broker wire/connector

Its not likely to be headlight unit related because BOTH are out, unless there is some oddball logic that shuts them both off if one fails. I dont thinkl its that sophisticated. I think its a switch a relay and some wires.

Grant
Old 11-18-2012, 12:09 PM
gfl
Racer

ps: how do i make replies indent under the post of relevance? Do i have to quote to do so?

Grant
Old 11-18-2012, 05:05 PM
Dave H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ps: how do i make replies indent under the post of relevance? Do i have to quote to do so?
yes, click the quotes button at the bottom of the post you're quoting...
Old 11-18-2012, 09:18 PM
gfl
Racer

Default merci!

Originally Posted by Dave H.
yes, click the quotes button at the bottom of the post you're quoting...
text to make the roboprogram happy
Old 11-20-2012, 11:43 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Based upon my experience with my '02 S, I'm putting my $0.02 on the light switch having failed.
Old 12-17-2016, 02:17 PM
no1tmorrow
Intermediate

Did you ever figure out your problem from 4 years ago? I have no power at my fuses but can't tell from my manual which pins on the back of the switch I should test to see if it is the switch or something else. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:18 AM
kderry
Advanced

Originally Posted by no1tmorrow
Did you ever figure out your problem from 4 years ago? I have no power at my fuses but can't tell from my manual which pins on the back of the switch I should test to see if it is the switch or something else. Any help would be appreciated.
KL 56 is low beam out on the headlight switch (white wire with black stripe at the switch). Test for 12V+ with switch in low beam on position.
If you have voltage, the problem is your high beam stalk. If no voltage, it's your headlight switch.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:43 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Likely to be the headlight switch.
You can clean them

Do a search on 986forum.com

Quick Reply: 99 Boxster Low Beams out - Help please -