Sponsored by:

1999 Boxster, Power Steering or break fluid leak leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 11:08 PM
US928
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Boxster, Power Steering or break fluid leak leak

Have an oil leak from front Driver and passenger side that is all around the front rims, it seems its a brake fluid, but the color seems blue, i think power steering fluid is blue color, oil damaged the paint on both front rims, any idea what can it be. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:27 PM
trygve
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Power steering very unlikely, as the only leak point up front can be where the lines meet the steering rack, directly in front of the driver's feet. (Unless it's a highly unlikely leak out both ends.) Also, PS fluid is green.

Brake fluid seems more likely, and it can be blue if you use ATE Blue. Stock fluid is usually golden colored. If it is leaking around the bleeder screws on the calipers you should see definite signs of dripping or wetness around those screws. If you take the wheel off you can visually examine the entire brake line from where it exits into the wheel well to where it meets the caliper.

The other fluid you might check is coolant. There are hoses and hose clamps you can see in the wheel well, and these lead to the radiators, just ahead of the plastic wheel well liner.

I think you need to take one of the splattered wheels off and look around. Hopefully the source will be obvious and nothing difficult to fix.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:43 AM
jittsl
Racer

Both front wheels is weird. Have a look at the brake fluid reservoir and see if it contains Blue fluid. If so (and given that your fluid eats paint) then you probably have your answer. Coolant is usually green and won't eat paint. Steering fluid could be blue but usually isn't and shouldn't eat paint.

If both front calipers are leaking (and I'm presuming it's not just the bleed nipples) then work is required urgently. Both going together is unusual but not unheard of.

Let us know what you find cause that seems weird as I said.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:17 AM
US928
Advanced

Hi, Thank You guys for the reply, I checked the brake fluid, its Golden color and not missing any fluid, i ruled out the brake fluid leak since this just happened and on both sides, I'm not sure what are the chances that both sides start leaking at the same time, I will take the wheels out today and check it out, the power steering fluid is blue color, i remember adding some last year, the antifreeze is purple color. on the mid section of the car between the wheels there is a plastic cover that is also oily, it seems what ever the leak is its splashing every where
Old 09-26-2012, 11:44 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

From the benefit of having read your posts I believe you should suspect the power steering system is leaking.

I suspect the car has experienced a failed power steering line pressure relief valve which has overpressured the rack and forced fluid from its seals in to the dus boot covers. These have finally let go of their fluid content and the fluid being fluid will find its own way to wherever it wants to go.

But you need a pro's diagnosis. Even if I'm right the leak will not fix itself.

Get the car to a shop get the car in the air and remove some of the underbody panels, perhaps even the front bumper cover, to determine the source of the leak -- it may be a line fitting and not what I said above -- and the extent of the fluid's migration so proper cleaning can be done.

Power steering fluid is harmfull to rubber so you will have to be sure any rubber hoses or suspension bushing/steering bushings that were doused with this are even though thoroughly clenaed ASAP are not damaged from their exposure to the fluid.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:46 AM
US928
Advanced

Originally Posted by trygve
Power steering very unlikely, as the only leak point up front can be where the lines meet the steering rack, directly in front of the driver's feet. (Unless it's a highly unlikely leak out both ends.) Also, PS fluid is green.

Brake fluid seems more likely, and it can be blue if you use ATE Blue. Stock fluid is usually golden colored. If it is leaking around the bleeder screws on the calipers you should see definite signs of dripping or wetness around those screws. If you take the wheel off you can visually examine the entire brake line from where it exits into the wheel well to where it meets the caliper.

The other fluid you might check is coolant. There are hoses and hose clamps you can see in the wheel well, and these lead to the radiators, just ahead of the plastic wheel well liner.

I think you need to take one of the splattered wheels off and look around. Hopefully the source will be obvious and nothing difficult to fix.

Hi, Took the wheel out and don't see any sign of brake fluid leak, all i see is Green color oil around it which can be power steering.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:07 PM
US928
Advanced

Took the bottom cover, there is no leak from the the power steering not a drop, all oil is around the both front calipers and wheel wells, checked the power steering fluid and is fine,
Old 09-26-2012, 01:40 PM
jittsl
Racer

Stranger and stranger.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:10 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by US928
Took the bottom cover, there is no leak from the the power steering not a drop, all oil is around the both front calipers and wheel wells, checked the power steering fluid and is fine,
Well, no leaks from the rack or power steering lines then brake lines come in for suspicion.

Due to my schedule today I have not bothered to reread the thread to see if this been asked and done, but have you checked the brake fluid level?

Anyhow, about the only other thing I can think of is if the fluid is oil based is a strut is leaking.

But both front struts? Hard to imagine a single strut failure mode that has fluid in nearly identical amounts/areas at both front wheels.

But stranger things have happened though they involve space aliens and well, let's just leave it at that...

Really it makes no difference. The cause of the fluid is what it is. If it is one strut, or both, the important thing is you know and address this.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:03 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any chance someone did both front wheel bearings and repacked the wheel brgs with a better type of grease, blue/green in color maybe ? If so and they over packed the bearings or the car has been tracked and gotten real hot then the overage of grease could cause that. It usually leaks out from the ABS sensor/ring wheel area and will spray the inside of wheel area as it flings it around.

Report back.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:56 AM
US928
Advanced

No, i had the car for the last 5 years, didn't had the chance to check anything yet, i now have a new problem, the tail lights are out, sometimes i press on brake 5 or 6 times will turn on and off, also when i activate the alarm after two or three minutes will disarm by itself, i drove the car around the block and i didn't see any leaks, i will try to check it out tomorrow
Old 10-02-2012, 07:50 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by US928
No, i had the car for the last 5 years, didn't had the chance to check anything yet, i now have a new problem, the tail lights are out, sometimes i press on brake 5 or 6 times will turn on and off, also when i activate the alarm after two or three minutes will disarm by itself, i drove the car around the block and i didn't see any leaks, i will try to check it out tomorrow
When I had a problem with my 02 Boxster's brake lights -- at first intermittently working then at the end not working at all -- the brake light switch was worn out.

It is not expensive to buy and easy to replace.

While you are jammed upside down doing a head stand on the driver's side mat -- gee maybe the brake light switch is *not* so easy to replace -- have with you a new clutch interlock switch and a cruise disable switch (if you have a manual equipped car of course) to renew. Likely they'll be bad soon.

As for the alarm issue that's similar to what my car was doing when what proved to be the passenger side (there's one on the driver's side too though) door lock assembly.

This is a rather large and complex housing full of mechanical and electronics and if it goes bad it can cause strange behavior with the alarm system along with the door locks and even the window.

A tech with the proper Porsche diagnostics computer can diagnosis this for you. You want to spend a bit money up front because this is a rather expensive piece of hardware to buy.

A few dollars in diagnostics labor could save you from replacing an expensive yet functioning door lock assembly.

But even before you do the switch, even before you have the door lock assembly diagnosed, be sure the floor and door carpets are dry and the doors do not slosh when you shake them.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: 1999 Boxster, Power Steering or break fluid leak leak