Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spoiler not working, is it expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 04:32 PM
mike.gamble
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spoiler not working, is it expensive?

I've been offered a boxster for quite cheap money but it has a couple of faults which I'm happy with for the money but, the one that concerns me is a non functioning spoiler. Apparently it stopped working some years ago and the then owner fitted a fixed spoiler to the boot to compensate for this.

The car has been taken to the garage by the chap who is trying to sell the car and they have said the spoiler motor needs replacing. I can get a second hand one for £40 but, will it be that simple or are there other possible problems attached?

I'd be most grateful for any help and advice!
Old 09-20-2012, 05:01 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by mike.gamble
I've been offered a boxster for quite cheap money but it has a couple of faults which I'm happy with for the money but, the one that concerns me is a non functioning spoiler. Apparently it stopped working some years ago and the then owner fitted a fixed spoiler to the boot to compensate for this.

The car has been taken to the garage by the chap who is trying to sell the car and they have said the spoiler motor needs replacing. I can get a second hand one for £40 but, will it be that simple or are there other possible problems attached?

I'd be most grateful for any help and advice!
Hard to know for sure. With the hardware broken, unused for so long there can be more to it that just a motor assuming that is even the reason it quit working in the first place.

Assuming the motor is the problem, the shop will have to install the new (used) motor but maybe the motor doesn't work?

If it does work and the spoiler doesn't work (hopefully not taking out the "new" motor) then the shop will have to use I guess PST2 or PIWIS2 to diagnose if possible why the spoiler doesn't work and the diagnostics time combined wtih any repair time/parts cost just adds to the cost of the spoiler repair.

Make having the spoiler fixed/put back to "stock" a condition of buying the car.

Let the seller absorb the cost/risk. Or get worst case estimate and reduce your offer by that amount.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:36 AM
ep3_lol
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't really need the spoiler if you're not doing and high performance driving. It's not pretty when it's up and probably just hurts gas mileage for typical highway cruising. You might just use it as a bargaining point and leave it be.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:35 AM
jittsl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suspect you could buy the whole motor/gearbox/drive assembly for not much more than the 40£ you were quoted. It would be much easier to replace the whole assembly and as long as the unit is in working order and the extension slides are greased you pretty much can't go wrong. It's really not a big deal to fix. Likewise unless your driving well past 100mph it's irrelevant anyway.

Quick Reply: Spoiler not working, is it expensive?