Sponsored by:

Strut advice please - complicated

Old 08-23-2012, 04:37 PM
catalogguy
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Strut advice please - complicated

CURRENT SITUATION:

2000 Boxster S with euro spec RoW M030 suspension.
Front passenger side strut leaking badly.

Sacramento alignment shop Linville Bros had the car up on the rack this morning and recommends I replace both front struts since one is leaking. They quoted me $260 to replace the struts, $240 to replace the strut assemblies. This is for labor. They sent me out on my own to source the parts.

REPLACE STRUT CARTRIDGE OPTION

Bilstein sport apparently are an acceptable replacement part. Shox.com offers them $509 delivered with tax. They are on back order and "might arrive in about a week."

RESTORE ORIGINAL SUSPENSION

I have the original factory suspension, or at least most of it. Looks like 4 springs/shocks and 2 bars (sway bars?). The original suspension was much more comfortable, and I wouldn't mind going back, even though the car was higher. Concerns are whether I have all the parts needed or would the shop need to order some replacements. Would the shop need special Porsche expertise to recognize such a need. Cost to restore suspension is unknown.

NEW SUSPENSION

Probably not an option due to cost. I understand that the new Bilstein PSS are superior in ride and handling. But since the kit probably costs over a grand and install will be that again, this is not going to work. I took the bar exam and am awaiting results in November, so after 3 years of school and still no income, I am more concerned with getting the transportation in order than optimizing the car.

Any suggestions on another alternative, or whether to go back to the original set up versus just replacing struts? Any other comments most welcome. Thanks for any insights.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:02 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

If you are using a shop that can't tell you what parts you need to restore the car's stock suspension back to stock you are using the wrong shop.

Given your financial situation my suggestion would be to do the least expensive repair to get the car back on the road for the least amount of money without compromising safety or comfort or handling.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:42 PM
catalogguy
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going to ask about installing my original suspension, if the price is right. I am reading online about shops swapping suspensions for about $600. This would give me the original (comfortable) ride and make the car reliable transportation right now.

An even less expensive option would be to install my original struts on the front, leaving the M030 springs and sway bars. I have not yet found anyone who can speak from experience how this would work out since it is a mismatch. The labor would cost of $260 and not having to buy parts makes this appealing.

I read that Bilstein is the OEM for the Porsche struts, and many people are using the Bilstein Sport as their first choice replacement part. Tire Rack supplies them for $486. That brings the job to about 750.

I am thinking of dragging my original suspension down to the shop and ask them to have a look at it and give me a price and an opinion. This is not a Porsche shop, but it is a large and busy alignment shop.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:48 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by catalogguy
I am going to ask about installing my original suspension, if the price is right. I am reading online about shops swapping suspensions for about $600. This would give me the original (comfortable) ride and make the car reliable transportation right now.

An even less expensive option would be to install my original struts on the front, leaving the M030 springs and sway bars. I have not yet found anyone who can speak from experience how this would work out since it is a mismatch. The labor would cost of $260 and not having to buy parts makes this appealing.

I read that Bilstein is the OEM for the Porsche struts, and many people are using the Bilstein Sport as their first choice replacement part. Tire Rack supplies them for $486. That brings the job to about 750.

I am thinking of dragging my original suspension down to the shop and ask them to have a look at it and give me a price and an opinion. This is not a Porsche shop, but it is a large and busy alignment shop.
Suspension components want to be matched. Reverting to stock struts with ROW springs will almost certainly deliver a sub-par suspension experience.

The struts will be over worked by the springs and furthermore with a lowered car the struts may be mis-positioned to where they deliver even less than their normal dampening. Also, the struts may end up bottoming out (or even topping out) more often, too.

Thus, a poorer handling car with struts that almost certainly will have a shortened life span is what you can expect.

While the shop may know its alignments I'm less confident about its suspension expertise. But take the parts there and listen to what the shop has to say.

Bilstein may be the OEM for Porsche struts but that doesn't mean the Bilstein struts you buy over an auto parts counter are the same units that you buy over a Porsche parts counter. Do not confuse OEM for OE.

My advice would be to stick with the ROW suspension if that works for you and buy whatever parts/replacement parts are necessary to restore the system to full functionality, unless of course you find the cost of doing this unacceptable.

This means you need hard costs/numbers to help you make the best decision.

Or, if you want to return to the stock suspension then do so but of course given your situation you want to be very sure you know just what you are facing cost wise.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:55 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

macster makes some great points. on the experience side, i can say that i used OEM struts w/ RoW M030 springs & sways; they worked great.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:33 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by insite
macster makes some great points. on the experience side, i can say that i used OEM struts w/ RoW M030 springs & sways; they worked great.
Then it would appear my concern regarding mixing ROW springs with OE struts is unwarranted.

To the OP then this might be the way to go. Just a couple of struts and an alignment after.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:07 AM
Laguna Seca
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like you really want to go back to your old suspension...why not do that and then sell the RoW M030 suspension to offset? Good luck!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Strut advice please - complicated