Sponsored by:

Realistic tire lifespan?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 03:07 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by ep3_lol
Tire life is dependent on the construction and use. Nothing about the Boxster will make it any different from any other car out there, except for the inability to rotate back to front. You can buy a harder, high mileage tire that will last many tens of thousands of miles if you like, so long as it comes in the right size. You don't need the OEM tire just because it's OEM. If resale value is a concern, then just replace what you get with the OEM ones before you sell; no one will know the difference, because there won't be one.
I prefer to buy a vehicle in need of tires so that I don't have to pay for & endure the poor choise of the PO.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:38 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Tire life is dependent on the construction and use. Nothing about the Boxster will make it any different from any other car out there, except for the inability to rotate back to front. You can buy a harder, high mileage tire that will last many tens of thousands of miles if you like, so long as it comes in the right size. You don't need the OEM tire just because it's OEM. If resale value is a concern, then just replace what you get with the OEM ones before you sell; no one will know the difference, because there won't be one.
There is a reason people most typically wear out Porsche tires at 15-20k, though: tire compounds trade off grip for tread-life, and sticky high-performance tires don't last long. Sure, you could get 60,000 mile all-seasons, but why would you spend so much money on a high performance sports car and then cripple it by going cheap on the single biggest factor in your car's performance? Tires are extremely important, and bear careful research to get the right tire for your situation and requirements.

N-rating is worthless marketing speak, though, and not worth the price premium. Plenty of way better tires out there that aren't N-rated. Likewise, you don't have to stick to OEM tire sizes; lots of similar tires will fit on the same rims. In fact, I highly recommend going a little wider in the front as you'll dial out some of that understeer.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:26 AM
ep3_lol
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sjfehr
but why would you spend so much money on a high performance sports car and then cripple it by going cheap on the single biggest factor in your car's performance?
Because all you ever do in it is tool around town, never even getting to a 6 or 7 out of 10? I think the bigger question is, "If that's your driving style, why buy a sports car?" But, different topic.

Not "you", but the cheap tire buyer in question.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:26 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Because all you ever do in it is tool around town, never even getting to a 6 or 7 out of 10? I think the bigger question is, "If that's your driving style, why buy a sports car?" But, different topic.

Not "you", but the cheap tire buyer in question.
Hard to believe but a lot of people buy a Porsche for it's looks only & are quite apathetic about the way it drives.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:30 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
I prefer to buy a vehicle in need of tires so that I don't have to pay for & endure the poor choise of the PO.
A problem with this is one might attribute to the tires behavior/noise or other things that are coming from something else, something that will not be addressed by new tires.

Also, shoddy tires on a car for sale, clearly showing the seller skimped on tires, suggests the seller skimped on other things too.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:34 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

There is a reason people most typically wear out Porsche tires at 15-20k, though: tire compounds trade off grip for tread-life, and sticky high-performance tires don't last long. Sure, you could get 60,000 mile all-seasons, but why would you spend so much money on a high performance sports car and then cripple it by going cheap on the single biggest factor in your car's performance? Tires are extremely important, and bear careful research to get the right tire for your situation and requirements.

N-rating is worthless marketing speak, though, and not worth the price premium. Plenty of way better tires out there that aren't N-rated. Likewise, you don't have to stick to OEM tire sizes; lots of similar tires will fit on the same rims. In fact, I highly recommend going a little wider in the front as you'll dial out some of that understeer.
Your comments above contradict.

No time to get into a big tire argument but when you can produce the results of testing n-rated vs. non n-rated tires on a number of Porsche models that show n-rated tires do not deliver any benefits compared to non n-rated tires and just as importantly non n-rated tires do not produce a car that could have at the worst time dangerous handling traits, then I'll find the time, to at least read through your test results.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:11 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macster
A problem with this is one might attribute to the tires behavior/noise or other things that are coming from something else, something that will not be addressed by new tires.

Also, shoddy tires on a car for sale, clearly showing the seller skimped on tires, suggests the seller skimped on other things too.

Sincerely,

Macster.
While this is certainly true for laymen it works in the reverse to my advantage for me. I was speaking more to how many times I have looked at cars for sale & the seller is pointing out the nearly new tires that I can't wait to wearout & replace with proper tires.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:37 PM
San Rensho
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My info is the right rear tire can wear faster than the left rear -- at least in USA cars and ignoring uneven tire wear arising from abnormal alignment -- due to the lack of a LSD.

The diff in the Boxster is a simple diff and during a turn in order for the outside wheel to turn faster torque is transferred to the inside wheel. Since this wheel/tire is not loaded as much as the outside it can spin.

Depending upon how aggressive a driver is with his car's throttle and cornering speed the right rear tire can experience negligible wear -- to the point that after say 20K miles the two rear tires are nearly indistinguishable from each other -- to the point the right rear tire is down to its wear bars thousands of miles ahead of the left rear.

The right rear tire wears more since in the USA most turns are to the right and are made while at a slower speed made under conditions that can lead to slippage of the right rear tire more often then the left rear.

Sincerely,

Macster.
That explains it. And all along i thought it was because of too much negative camber.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:11 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

No time to get into a big tire argument but when you can produce the results of testing n-rated vs. non n-rated tires on a number of Porsche models that show n-rated tires do not deliver any benefits compared to non n-rated tires and just as importantly non n-rated tires do not produce a car that could have at the worst time dangerous handling traits, then I'll find the time, to at least read through your test results.

Sincerely,

Macster.
I submit for the record, every autocross, time trial and road race run in the last 5 years. For example, not a single person even entered SCCA autocross national championship on N-rated tires last year, because none are grippy enough to be competitive at that level.

It's not that N-rated tires are bad or dangerous, just that there are better tires out there, most of which cost less.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:22 PM
matmanx1
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

I submit for the record, every autocross, time trial and road race run in the last 5 years. For example, not a single person even entered SCCA autocross national championship on N-rated tires last year, because none are grippy enough to be competitive at that level.

It's not that N-rated tires are bad or dangerous, just that there are better tires out there, most of which cost less.
I believe you and since I'm still likely going to be buying a Boxster down the road at some point what would you choose for yours?
Old 08-25-2012, 02:42 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

What I'm running is not necessarily what would be the best tire for you, as there are pros and cons to every tire- wet vs cold vs dry vs hot vs snow, etc. But FWIW, I'm running Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:17 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the Star Specs a lot. They had plenty of tread left when I replaced them at about 10k miles, but the noise factor necessitates replacing the rear tires especially, long before I reach the wear bars on a Boxster. They were the first set after upgrading my motor to a 3.6 so I probably put more stress on them than I would have normally. Right now I have some Toyo T1S' on it that I need to use before they get too old. they had been on my wife's 968 with 2k miles on them in 3-4 years. They are decent tires. My experience has been the Star specs are about as grippy as you can get without spending a fortune for tires, and the N-rating stuff is getting Porsche a cheaper price on the tires they buy and not a lot more to it, IMHO of course. I'll go back to the Star specs or maybe try a set of the new Advans everyone is raving about (08s I think), but those are quite a bit more than the Dunlops.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:30 PM
matmanx1
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Tire noise is one of my absolute pet peeves in a car. I'm going to have to do some research once I buy my car so that I make sure and buy tires that don't annoy me.

Quick Reply: Realistic tire lifespan?