Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004

2001 Boxster Soft Top Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012 | 05:42 PM
Derrick Powers
2nd Gear

Default 2001 Boxster Soft Top Replacement

Hi, I am new to this forum so I do not know my way around very much, so please bear with me if this is posted in the wrong place.

Recently I had bought myself a 2001 Boxster (non S) and it had come with some tears in the back plastic for the soft top, using this as a negotiating tool I bought the car at a decent price. However, it is becoming quite an eyesore for me, seeing as I love to have my car looking in mint condition. I was wondering, is there any one who has had the top replaced that could tell me a price range I am looking at? Also I need an opinion on the glass panel tops and if they are worth looking in to.
Lastly, I want to find a place to do this professionally, but I am figuring the Porsche dealership will charge me a few thousand to do this. Does anyone know of a place in Maryland that can do this relatively cheap, or just simply specializes in Porsche's?

Much thanks,
Derrick
Old 07-31-2012 | 07:34 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

There is a section on this web site on Tops (by Maurice, the expert) discussing all the possibilities and even offering do it yourself info. There is also a DC/MD/VA service providers page that though dated (haven't lived there for 5 years) may be of some help as there were top shops listed.
Old 08-02-2012 | 09:02 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

GAHH makes replacement convertible tops for your car. If you contact them, they may be able to refer you to someone local who can order the top and install it for you. Good luck!
Old 08-02-2012 | 09:12 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

If the rest of the top is in otherwise good condition, the simple fix might be to just have the rear plastic window replaced. If you're in the DC area, there's a great shop in Tysons Corner that we used to replace the plastic window on our 2000 Boxster S: Lims Auto Upholstery - 703-893-7373. Cost us about $500 and he did a fantastic job.

We looked at the glass window replacement tops, and the problems I saw were a) glass window is much smaller since it can't fold, and b) apparently inteferes with access to the engine in the "service position". When Porsche went to a glass top in 2003, they changed the roof strut design from 3 to 4. With 3 struts on the earlier cars, the rear glass window top is going to be compromised.
Old 08-02-2012 | 12:43 PM
Sky_racer
Intermediate

i would recommend that you should not take chances and go to the dealer ship. they will do it very nicely. No one can do like the company does.

Quick Reply: 2001 Boxster Soft Top Replacement