New Member with seat upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 12:33 PM
Netsrac67
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member with seat upgrade question

Hi all

Well this is my first post here, so I will start by telling a bit about my new (used) ride.

It started out as trying to buy a car in Florida and flip it here in Montreal Canada.

There were 3 of us invested in it, and we were supposed to drive it until we sold it.

Well it sat in one of the investors property for a whole year. Well I sold my house and had a bit of equity and bought the car from other 2 investors and do not regret a thing.

The car is a 2001 Boxster bought with 70k miles on it. Landed cost after importing $15k CDN

Since have bought used set of 18" chrome wheels with new tires, new MAF and new water pump, thermo and belt total $2300

Now the next investment I am looking into is a used set of 2008 997 basic seats (These are not the 5 point harness seats) with 6k km on them. These were a swap out, not accident-ed for $1100 + $150 shipping.

I went to price redoing my existing seats and came out to the same price.

Here are the seats

Here is my baby

So do you thing this would be a good investment?

Dealer told me these seats from the factory cost about 3k each
Thanks for your comments
Old 07-24-2012, 12:59 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I were looking to invest in a Boxster for the purpose of flipping it, I see the chrome wheels as more of a negative rather than a positive.

I also have reservations about common cars like the Boxster (a commodity, to be sure) as a source of investment income. But hey, that's just me!

Good luck to you...
Old 07-24-2012, 01:16 PM
Netsrac67
Track Day

Actually we were going to flip it, but since we could not get a buyer after a year, I decided to keep it

The tires on the car at purchase were completely worn out. Would have cost about $600 for new set of rears.

Body shop had a Boxster S owner wanting to sell his 18" Chrome wheels with barely used rubber for $1000. I thought bigger wheels (mine came with 17") new rubber, no brainer.

I'll be the first to admit that flipping a Boxster was not a good idea, but bottom line I got a great car at a great price. Even with the repairs I had to do, still cheaper than trying to find one locally.

I fall in love with this car more everyday...When I do sell it in maybe a few years, it will be to buy another Porsche
Old 07-24-2012, 02:46 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Whaletail Canada
http://www.whaletailcanada.com/

or

NineApart
http://www.nineapart.com/nowparting.php?id=Boxster

But 911 seats from that recent a year may be tough to find up North or even in the US. The rest of the list of sources is here.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:38 PM
Netsrac67
Track Day

Actually it is Whaletail where I am getting the seats, which I just bit the bullet and bought them.

Guess it is my early birthday present, sure to make my car look years younger.

Guess it is like getting your significant other a facelift
Old 07-24-2012, 06:17 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I can't confirm it.. may need to make sure 997 seats will fit (and wire) up properly.

is there anything wrong with your current seats? Faded? torn? Might look for the period correct sport seats instead. Just saying.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:03 AM
Netsrac67
Track Day

The seats I have now are torn and faded.

The previous owner did not take great care of the seats, but it is an 11 year old car from Florida

The seats I bought are genuine Porsche seats from a GT3, but the owner of the GT3 wanted 5 point harness and he had the basic seats which I just bought from Whaletail.

I checked with my local Porsche dealer, and they confirmed that the 2008 GT3 seats will easily fit my 2001 Boxster without any modification. The only thing is I will not be able to hook up the in-seat air bags.

Quick Reply: New Member with seat upgrade question