Sponsored by:

Missing transmission bolt, Clutch disc size Y2K Base boxster

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 01:06 PM
beervanaben
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Missing transmission bolt, Clutch disc size Y2K Base boxster

Okay, I'm a new Boxster owner and new to Rennlist.
Here goes:
Y2K Boxster base 48k miles, dealer records indicate normal factory service by dealer (15k) and show no major mechanical work done (or engine swap). Limited previous owner records. The last owner only had the car 9 months and did not service the clutch.
Due to RMS area oil leaks:
I am in the middle of a clutch change, IMS bearing change (to LN ceramic), RMS change and Tranny input shaft seal change (every seal I can get to).
Prior to dropping the tranny I noticed that one of the mounting bolts was missing.
Grime indicated it had been missing for some time. The threaded hole does not look to have any green (thread locker?) thread sealant in it.
Question:
Is it possible that this is a Porsche factory error?
Any other incidents of an omission like this?
Or should I see this as evidence of previous major service?

On another note the old clutch disc has a larger friction material surface area than the Sachs clutch kit disc I purchased. I am inclined to dislike that difference as I equate surface area with performance, heat, and likely life of the disc.
Does that sound accurate?

My background:
non-professional Heavy industrial maintenance mechanic including 2 auto transmission rebuilds:
Ford F350 4R100, Broderson IC80 crane Velvet drive.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-18-2012, 02:03 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by beervanaben
Okay, I'm a new Boxster owner and new to Rennlist.
Here goes:
Y2K Boxster base 48k miles, dealer records indicate normal factory service by dealer (15k) and show no major mechanical work done (or engine swap). Limited previous owner records. The last owner only had the car 9 months and did not service the clutch.
Due to RMS area oil leaks:
I am in the middle of a clutch change, IMS bearing change (to LN ceramic), RMS change and Tranny input shaft seal change (every seal I can get to).
Prior to dropping the tranny I noticed that one of the mounting bolts was missing.
Grime indicated it had been missing for some time. The threaded hole does not look to have any green (thread locker?) thread sealant in it.
Question:
Is it possible that this is a Porsche factory error?
Any other incidents of an omission like this?
Or should I see this as evidence of previous major service?

On another note the old clutch disc has a larger friction material surface area than the Sachs clutch kit disc I purchased. I am inclined to dislike that difference as I equate surface area with performance, heat, and likely life of the disc.
Does that sound accurate?

My background:
non-professional Heavy industrial maintenance mechanic including 2 auto transmission rebuilds:
Ford F350 4R100, Broderson IC80 crane Velvet drive.

Any thoughts?
Welcome to Rennlist & Boxster ownership, it sounds like you are taking the proactive, well informed approach to ownership. Once these cars are out of warranty people tend to try & "save" money by skimping on maintenance. I have never heard of assembly errors from the factory yet I am sure it happens. I advise not wasting time guessing how your car got "out of spec" missing fasteners & modified with substandard parts. The oem Sachs 3 piece clutch kit is the best for the job & same for the missing fastener. If you post which bolt is missing we can tell you length & thread info + torque spec or go to Pelican parts.com Tech info page for DIY with photos & get your self a Bentley manual for Boxster info. Good call on the LN IMS retrofit, read the hole Boxster section & change oil every 5,000.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:12 AM
beervanaben
5th Gear

Thank you Byprodriver.
Moving forward I have removed the old IMS bearing double row (i will attach a short video if it works).
The bearing still had both covers on, and no sign of metal in the oil, or other obvious signs of bearing failure, but this thing was as bad as can be (see the video). The engine sounded good (as far as I could tell) a little ticking when cold, but smooth when warm and revved.
This was the right time to do this work!
Symptoms: Oil leak below transmission bell housing (was the IMS cover not the RMS).
Old 08-02-2012, 02:15 PM
budmanv24
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I am not mistaken boxsters came from the factory shy one bellhousing bolt.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:08 PM
DennisAN
Advanced

I'm pulling the tranny off my 986 (2000 base 5 MT). There's a bellhousing bolt missing on mine. It's the one labeled "G" on the Pelican photo below.

Is this the one that's supposed to be missing on Boxsters?

Quick Reply: Missing transmission bolt, Clutch disc size Y2K Base boxster