Sponsored by:

In the middle of replacing IMS on 2000 Boxster S

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 06:03 PM
rjbrennanjr
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In the middle of replacing IMS on 2000 Boxster S

This is my first post to the forum, so I hope I'm doing this correctly. I recently bought a 2000 Boxster S with only 28K miles on it. Before the purchase, I researched Boxsters extensively, and ran into the infamous IMS bearing failure as a potential catastrophic risk. For peace of mind, I decided to replace the bearing with LN's solution, and am right in the middle of that project today.

I've pulled the transmission/transaxle, clutch, and flywheel. I researched the IMS removal process extensively and decided to do the following:

1. Set the engine to TDC for the 1-3 bank by aligning the mark on the crankshaft pulley with the mark on the block, and confirming that the, 1-3 exhaust cam slot was vertical.

2. Put a pin through the teardrop-shaped hole in the crankshaft pulley and into the hole in the block, and installed the LN kit camshaft lock on the 1-3 exhaust camshaft.

3. Removed the two flywheel-side camshaft chain tensioners. I did not remove the third tensioner near the front of the engine.

4. Removed the IMS flange.

5. Removed the IMS bearing using the LN Engineering puller.

Everything went very smoothly. No stripped bolts, no surprises, and very little colorful language (and that's significant for a former Navy fighter pilot).

I ordered the bearing today - wanted to confirm the type since the crossover point for the two types of IMS bearings is in the 2000 model year.

Here's my problem: The IMS is not centered in the hole in the block, and there is no side-to-side or vertical play in the shaft end. I don't think I'll be able to get the flange back on without considerable force, and it doesn't seem like I should be forcing things with the chain tensioners competely removed from the chains at that end of the engine.

I've got a day or two before the bearing shows up. Is there anything I did wrong? What should I do to center the shaft so I don't have to force things.

Although it's hard to tell from the picture, the shaft is touching or very close to the top of the bore.
Attached Images  
Old 04-27-2012, 09:44 AM
harryrcb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have done everything perfect up to this point. don't worry too much about the shaft being off center. some engine do this others don't. Do not play with it now. When you get your new bearing put it in the freezer, fastened to your install tool, for at least 4 hours, it will make the installation much easier. install your bearing, prep your seal and cover with white lithium grease. Start the cover on, over the shaft, then push your cover into center position and in. You may require a friend to help you with the alignment and pulling power, if it is really stubborn. Once you get the holes aligned and the cover started then it's just a matter to get the bolts started and run them in slowly as not to damage the seal.
You are good to go.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:20 PM
San Rensho
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you have the double row or single row bearing and what condition was it in?
Old 04-29-2012, 12:01 PM
rjbrennanjr
5th Gear

Thanks Harry. I also got some advice that loosening the third tensioner under the ac compressor would center the IMS and I'm going to do that. The LN bearing isn't showing up until mid-week, so I have lots of time before I need to freeze the new bearing and tap it in.

The bearing is a dual row. I removed the seals and clean oil came out. No grease. The bearing is tight, and turns smoothly. I'm ok with that as I pulled the bearing for peace of mind, not due to any symptoms. That is, except for a rattle that sounds like lifters filling up in the first second or so when starting cold. I'm replacing the tensioners with the new design ones in hopes that fixes the noise.

30,000 miles on a 2000 had me concerned as there are reports of older, low mileage Boxsters failing. Call me paranoid . . .
Old 05-18-2012, 01:30 PM
Simon Jester
Instructor

Peace of mind is priceless....oh wait...in this case it may only be thousands of dollars.

I usually hang out at the 944 forum. Big mistake. A couple of weeks ago, the '98 Boxster (79k) lost the IMS. Instant grenade. No warning...BOOM! We skidded to a stop before I could get the clutch in. No amount of rebuild is gonna save this engine.

Oh yeah, did I mention that I'm looking for an early engine replacement?

Quick Reply: In the middle of replacing IMS on 2000 Boxster S