Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace Rear Plastic Window With Glass ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 10:47 PM
mwest
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace Rear Plastic Window With Glass ?

I've searched all the threads re:replacing plastic rear windows. I've seen comments and references about the glass replacements. But, I have not seen any comments from anyone that has actually done this. I would think the glass window may be a bit smaller then the plastic--but by how much? I've also seen comments that the glass window may inhibit access to the engine compartment.
It would be nice to have a clear rear window and with an electric defroster. The tops I've seen advertised come with the harness for the rear defroster. And a side benefit would be the ability to change the top color from black to whatever.
My questions are:
has anyone replaced their plastic with glass?
are they happy with the end result?
how much did it cost and was it worth it?
Thanks.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:10 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by mwest
I've searched all the threads re:replacing plastic rear windows. I've seen comments and references about the glass replacements. But, I have not seen any comments from anyone that has actually done this. I would think the glass window may be a bit smaller then the plastic--but by how much? I've also seen comments that the glass window may inhibit access to the engine compartment.
It would be nice to have a clear rear window and with an electric defroster. The tops I've seen advertised come with the harness for the rear defroster. And a side benefit would be the ability to change the top color from black to whatever.
My questions are:
Thanks.
Here's a link with some pricing:

http://www.gahh.com/store.php?cPath=57_341_3005

Here's a link to someone who did it:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ht=rear+window
Old 12-22-2011, 09:30 AM
mwest
Intermediate

Charlie C,
Thanks for the links.
The info on the guy with the C2 is a bit dated.
They now offer the glass windows with the harness for the defroster attached.
Also, in addition to GAHH, there are 2 other suppliers I came across. Their descriptions of the top material and the way the glass is attached to the top sounded exactly the same as GAHH's but at almost 1/2 the cost. Cabrioworld has an ad in Panorama and the other is Autotops Direct.

I'm really hoping to hear from anyone that has actually done this and which supplier they used.
And how happy or unhappy they are with the end result.
Thanks for the help.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:39 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Had one (I think it was a GAHH), hated it.

smaller window, couldn't service the engine top worth a darn.

sold it to someone else.

Mike
Old 12-22-2011, 06:26 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by mwest
My questions are:
Thanks.
The hot setup now I gather is to search out and buy the top hardware from an 03 or newer Boxster and retrofit this to an 02 or earlier MY Boxster.

The top hardware along with the top provides a glass rear window, and a top that fits better and does not interfere with access to the engine.

The cost is not gruesome. IIRC some have reported buying the hardware for around $600.

The next time my 02 needs a new rear window or if the top leaks I think I'll look into doing the 03 or newer retrofit to my 02.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:35 PM
mwest
Intermediate

Mike,
How long ago was that? I wonder if the glass tops today are improved over the ones from a few years back.
One of the things I plan on doing is making a call to a few of these companies and asking them for the measurements of the glass window. At least then I could make a legitimate comparison. I also need to find out from them if their top will interfere with access to the engine.

I was hoping to find someone on this site who actually had replaced their top in the past year or 2 and benefit from their experience.

Macster,
I guess I need to do some research on this alternative. I had not heard much about it.

Thanks.
MWest
Old 12-22-2011, 10:49 PM
meirschwartz
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 96 Posts
Default 2001 boxster S

So if I want glass window with no interference to the top of the engine, I need to get a complete top including the mechanism from a 03-04?
Old 12-23-2011, 02:10 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Maurice, the best top guy I know, produced a series of articles on replacing the window, installing a newer top, etc.

http://sites.google.com/site/mikefoc...%26replacement

The articles will describe for you in step by step detail with pictures the various options (window replace, top replace, frame replace, etc).
Old 01-09-2012, 10:31 PM
bar10dah
Track Day

Maurice's article, along with the 101projects book, and a few other websites are all I used to install my glass GAHH top on my '99 w/ plastic.

Glass window is definitely smaller than the plastic window, but I hardly noticed it. In fact, after a couple months, I don't notice it at all.

Can't get the top fully into service mode, but it does get pretty close! I have to use a cargo strap to hold the rear of the top up and access is only slightly limited.

Given the benefits of the glass, I gladly accept the drawbacks. Your mileage may vary...

Last edited by bar10dah; 01-14-2012 at 01:56 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:23 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

How often do you have to get full access to the engine? And if you do, can't you just remove the top frame and all? I never found that strapping up the top was a big deal, since the original was designed to be secured that way.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:15 PM
bar10dah
Track Day

Mikefocke, if that was directed at me, then nope. Not a big deal. That's what I meant by saying I gladly accept having to strap up the top to enjoy the benefits of the glass.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:54 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

limited engine access isn't the issue I have. It's that the new canvas will have a hard time stretching enough given the frame hardware has become loose and can't be tightened everywhere. Several owners who have done the aftermarket conversion from plastic to glass have complained about this. I had this same experience with a previous convertible. The new top was latched shut for weeks and despite the car having been driven only on weekends, the frame never produced enough torque if you will, to stretch the new fabric making operation difficult.

Quick Reply: Replace Rear Plastic Window With Glass ?