Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 11:43 AM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

What I had in mind was -- and this is just thinking out loud --
was a rear deck mounted cooler -- on top of say the rear trunk -- or built into or attached to a wing.

This would be for track use only -- so asthetics are secondary :-)
However, for street use -- it be easily removable.

The logistics of the quick disconnects would be an issue of course -- but
this (for the moment) is a theoretical exercise.

Mike
Old 12-10-2011, 12:58 PM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are set on putting on a large oil-to-air cooler, I think the safest and easiest place to put it would be either on the rear deck or under the rear deck lid (like the Carrera engine lid setups).

Fashioning a functional wing with a cooler, unless already available, might be a rather lengthy trial-error project.

If you can live without the rear trunk space, that would be a great place to put it without "mucking-up" the shape of the car. I think a nice vent arrangement on the rear lid would look really cool too.

Last edited by CW-VIESOCK; 12-10-2011 at 01:01 PM. Reason: BRAIN FARTS
Old 12-11-2011, 10:53 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by txhokie4life
What I had in mind was -- and this is just thinking out loud --
was a rear deck mounted cooler -- on top of say the rear trunk -- or built into or attached to a wing.

This would be for track use only -- so asthetics are secondary :-)
However, for street use -- it be easily removable.

The logistics of the quick disconnects would be an issue of course -- but
this (for the moment) is a theoretical exercise.

Mike
It has been some time ago but I came across an article about a turbo-charged Boxster and the owner/builder had installed the intercoolers where the rear trunk was located. I no longer have the mag, can't even remember which mag I found this article in, so I'm working from memory but my memory is at least in the case the intercooler setup the setup was very good, had the 'factory' look.

So there's that idea.

In some kind of wing...this presents problems. To work the oil cooler must have air flowing through it -- unless you come up with a design that works by having air flow over/past it -- and wings are solid and intended to get air to flow past them to increase downforce, decrease lift, so you would have to come up with a wing design that of course did its very important duty of helping keep the car stable and on the track and ensure the oil receives proper cooling.

While you are fixated on an oil cooler another way to make the existing oil cooler work better is to simply find a way to lower the car's coolant temp.

I've not re-read all the posts so if somebody already suggested this I apologize for the repeating of the idea, but if the car doesn't have one already installing a 3rd (central) radiator can help. (Or if you want to stick with the oil cooler only solution installing a nice large oil cooler in this area is a possibility.)

In addition to the 3rd radiator, or what you can do if there is already one, is to come up with a way for the radiator fans to run all the time, or put a switch in the cabin where you can turn them on to say low speed or even high speed while you are on the track. When on the street the fans can be allowed to fall back under control of the DME.

(Yet another possibility is to mount a fan behind the center radiator and wire it in to run at low speed all the time the engine is running.)

Before you make extensive mods to the rear of the car to accomodate oil coolers where the rear trunk is or come up with a wing that will do double duty and control air flow and help cool the oil be sure the mod's you are thinking about do not clash with those of the class you intend to run at the track.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:03 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,071 Likes on 557 Posts

The factory oil cooler (oil to water heat exchanger) is best at getting the oil up to temperature, not really cooling it down. Many people have noted that on the track oil temperatures can easily get to 270F in a 25 min DE session on an 80F day and even hotter if ambient temps are higher or it's a longer session or even an enduro. The oil cooler delete we make allows for an external oil cooler to be plumbed in. One Porsche dealership who used it on their track car reported back the highest oil temps they recorded was 230F and their oil pressure increased 15-20 psi as a result.

It has also been noted that high oil temperature coupled with inferior oils on the track can aggravate oil foaming leading to oil starvation (or making the problem worst).
Old 12-31-2011, 06:45 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't need an oil cooler. You need a front radiator, accusump, and ims bearing. Oil temps are not a problem.
I have built and currently race a spec Boxster in Tx.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:48 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amondc
You don't need an oil cooler. You need a front radiator, accusump, and ims bearing. Oil temps are not a problem.
I have built and currently race a spec Boxster in Tx.
Maybe not with a 2.5 Boxster, but models with larger engines need the extra oil cooling.

Flat 6 Innovations has suggested from what they have seen that high oil temperatures coupled with inferior oils also contributes greatly to loss of oil pressure (and starvation).
Old 01-02-2012, 05:51 PM
ONAFLYER
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
Maybe not with a 2.5 Boxster, but models with larger engines need the extra oil cooling.

Flat 6 Innovations has suggested from what they have seen that high oil temperatures coupled with inferior oils also contributes greatly to loss of oil pressure (and starvation).
I experienced this problem last summer on a 95+ day at the track, running fresh Mobil 1 10w-40. Do you think I need an Accusump to remedy this along with the 160 thermo in my newly rebuilt 3.2?
Old 01-02-2012, 06:40 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by ONAFLYER
I experienced this problem last summer on a 95+ day at the track, running fresh Mobil 1 10w-40. Do you think I need an Accusump to remedy this along with the 160 thermo in my newly rebuilt 3.2?
Accusump definitely. Rebuilt engines differ in their oil budget -- an engine's oil budget depends upon the clearances of the various bearing interfaces and the ability of the oil budget to be met by the efficiency of the oil pump -- and it may be you car's rebuilt engine has a higher oil budget and the oiling system is unable to keep up.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:44 AM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro

agree w/ this. my 2.5L had no issues on the track, even in very hot weather. my 3.4L had issues IMMEDIATELY even on a 78deg day.

charles - where is the link to your oil cooler adapter? i can't find it on your site.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:43 AM
logray
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The link is up above your post in post #10.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:54 AM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by logray
The link is up above your post in post #10.
got it; thx.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:44 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

On our 944 Enduro racer we see > 280 degrees (pegged) with a small oil cooler and an accusump.

We plan to add a larger cooler.

Mike
Old 01-04-2012, 09:36 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by insite
agree w/ this. my 2.5L had no issues on the track, even in very hot weather. my 3.4L had issues IMMEDIATELY even on a 78deg day.

charles - where is the link to your oil cooler adapter? i can't find it on your site.
I just spent some time today updating the site. All the oil system related items are on this page:

https://www.lnengineering.com/accusump.html
Old 07-10-2014, 06:00 PM
peterbigblock
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry!

Last edited by peterbigblock; 07-11-2014 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:32 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

The OP was concerned the Accusump may be insufficient.
Pedro mentions he removed his Accusump from his Track car and fitted his own "Technosump"
http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_2/TechnoSump.html.
The horizontal baffle+deep sump may be effective at keeping the oil-pickup submerged?
This oil heat exchanger delete has several fittings designed for a 'real' oil cooler .
http://shop.tunersmotorsports.com/?p...ger-delete-kit.

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler