Sponsored by:

HELP! Coilover Selection!!??

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 10:31 PM
CLOUSER
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Coilover Selection!!??

I have a '98 986 that needs rear lower control arms and struts.

The outer ball joints on the control arms are shot and it looks like the hole thing has to be replaced (ball joints not removable). Any advice on where to buy for a good price.

Also, the struts are shot. I'd like to switch to coilovers. Right now I've got the car lowered with stock struts and Eibach springs. It's over an inch lower, more like two inches. The ride is slightly stiffer than stock, still good for touring.

I'd like to put some adjustable coilovers on but not destroy the ride. I like to tour and I also like to track. Two somewhat opposing character traits for a car.

I was looking at two different coilover sets from Automotion, H&R street performance or the Bilstein PSS 9/10. There's also some H&R club coilovers that may be too stiff.

I could sure use some advice on what might be the best option for me. I'd like to improve handling without much ride quality sacrifice.

I was also eying the Motorsport Design Camber Plates. They look really nice, but I'm wondering if they will transmit too much noise as it looks like they don't have any rubber isolation in them.

Any suggestions on the above or any other options would be most helpful. My Boxster would really appreciate it!
Old 10-27-2011, 12:34 AM
CLOUSER
4th Gear

It looks like the PSS 9's have adjustable dampers and the H&R's don't. Is this correct?
Old 10-27-2011, 07:49 AM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the pss9 is the right choice for you. the H&R are quite a bit more harsh & track oriented. the PSS9s are indeed adjustable. why do you want camber plates? anyway, if you do go that route, they really don't affect the ride much.

i buy control arms here for $99. they're fine.

http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exe...ategory_id/590
Old 10-27-2011, 02:32 PM
cretinx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PSS9s aren't exactly OEM quality ride themselves.

You can't get more than 0.6 degrees of camber out of the fronts without plates.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:56 PM
CLOUSER
4th Gear

Thanks incite for the link.

Regarding why I am looking at strutplates, yes the additional adjustibility is good, but mostly the spongy stock strut mounts might not give the best handling performance but they do isolate the noise for an improved ride. Something in between would be nice.

Anybody else want to chime in before I make the mistake of a lifetime and buy some struts I don't like?
Old 10-27-2011, 08:06 PM
CLOUSER
4th Gear

continued explanation...

There are a lot of people who say my "xxxxxxxx" is faster than your Porsche.

Porsche (especially the Boxster) isn't the fastest thing on the road, but what they do is make cars that are faster than you can legally drive, they are faster than most people can handle or appreciate, and they do this while maintaining a ride quality and aesthetic that is superior to most vehicles.

I'd like to slightly improve the handling and tunability with coil overs but still retain as much of the ride quality as possible.

I rode with my friend in his EVO and was astonished at how stiff the ride was. Not a street car at all, and probably didn't handle as good as the Boxster even as stiff as it was. I don't want the Boxster to suffer this same fate.

Certainly the best thing to make the car go faster around the track will be to fix the driver.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:39 PM
cretinx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CLOUSER
continued explanation...

There are a lot of people who say my "xxxxxxxx" is faster than your Porsche.

Porsche (especially the Boxster) isn't the fastest thing on the road, but what they do is make cars that are faster than you can legally drive, they are faster than most people can handle or appreciate, and they do this while maintaining a ride quality and aesthetic that is superior to most vehicles.

I'd like to slightly improve the handling and tunability with coil overs but still retain as much of the ride quality as possible.

I rode with my friend in his EVO and was astonished at how stiff the ride was. Not a street car at all, and probably didn't handle as good as the Boxster even as stiff as it was. I don't want the Boxster to suffer this same fate.

Certainly the best thing to make the car go faster around the track will be to fix the driver.
don't get me started on the EVO

I test drove one - in order to get sound deadening you have to upgrade $10,000 to the automatic transmission model. It buzzed like a bumblebee on the highway - stock.

Quick Reply: HELP! Coilover Selection!!??