Sponsored by:

Considering PSS9s, quick question

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 08:55 PM
ep3_lol
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Considering PSS9s, quick question

So, the base Boxster stock suspension just isn't cutting it. My OEM Civic Si setup is stiffer and has a better feel to it. I'm not on the up-and-up with suspension manufacturers and components, but I figure an adjustable spec suspension can't be a bad choice. One thing I'm finding confusing though: the spec rules mention the PSS9s and separate springs, but my understanding is that coilover kits come with their own springs. Can the springs mentioned in the spec rulebook simply be swapped out for the ones that come with the kit, or will I need to buy springs aside from what's included with the PSS9s to complete the suspension package?

Thanks,
Robert
Old 09-09-2011, 10:32 PM
racer
Drifting

http://store.gospecracing.com/bilste...l-overkit.aspx - judging by this, it comes with springs.

Are you looking to run Boxster Spec (as you allude to) or simply want a PSS9 kit? Is this for a street car or for other uses? Less expensive are

1) US M030 sport suspension
2) ROW M030 sport suspension (slightly lower)
3) Aftermarket - ie, PSS9, or maybe just lowering springs and sport shocks (bilstein, koni, KW etc.)
Old 09-09-2011, 10:39 PM
C4 Pazzo
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Spec Boxster springs are stiffer than the springs that come with the PSS9/10 setup. For a street driven car, the Spec springs would be pretty uncomfortable. Get the PSS10s, rather than the PSS9s. They are easier to adjust, and allowed by the Spec (at least by PCA).
Old 09-09-2011, 11:09 PM
DOUGLAP1
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Past dyno curves I have seen on PSS9's indicate they are junk. There is no doubt that Bilstein knows how to make a proper damper, but not anywhere near this price point.

I would go with AST, Moton, or JRZ. But first you need to check the rules for whichever class you are building to and make sure you don't knock yourself from a lower class with single adjustable dampers to a higher calss with double or triple adjustable dampers.

With most struts, you can get any spring rate that you want. If you don't know how to calculate based on natural frequency, then just get what the Spec Box guys are running.

If you are just wanting to pose with a lowered car for the street then go with the PSS9's and be happy.

Good luck.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:21 AM
ep3_lol
Racer

It will be for street use with limited track use. I run with NASA and the occasional autocross, but I don't care about the auto-x class. I doubt it will be a full spec car, I don't have the coin for that, but I have liked other spec suspensions I've ridden in or driven. As for the PSS10s, well, $2k is about my ceiling right now. I'll look into other brands.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:32 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

I am running PSS9s on a Cayman S, they are not in the same league as Moton or JRZ but not bad for a street/track car. The Spec Boxster springs are 400# F and 500# rear, about twice the PSS9 rate. You might look at KW and Sachs.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:59 AM
ep3_lol
Racer

Some of these other brands being mentioned are out of my price range. I do not have a ton of experience, so I probably won't be able to fully appreciate top-of-the-line brands, but I also don't want to just be as cheap as I can. The KWs look reasonable, but I would need to step up from V1 to adjust more than ride height correct?
Old 09-11-2011, 01:42 AM
cbracer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got PSS9's on my car, and even dyno tested them. I'll gladly sell them to you or trade for H&R or RoW030 ? They aren't designed for daily street use, each click is a huge adjustment. Good if you want to cover a wide range of spring rates, but not useful for daily street use.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:34 AM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUGLAP1
Past dyno curves I have seen on PSS9's indicate they are junk. There is no doubt that Bilstein knows how to make a proper damper, but not anywhere near this price point.

I would go with AST, Moton, or JRZ. But first you need to check the rules for whichever class you are building to and make sure you don't knock yourself from a lower class with single adjustable dampers to a higher calss with double or triple adjustable dampers.

doug - you mention bilstein not making good dampers 'at this price point', but then procede to offer alternatives that cost about 4x as much.

for the $1,800 range, PSS9's are pretty good. out of curiosity, what were the indicators on the shock dyno plots that lead you to believe these are junk?
Old 09-11-2011, 11:57 AM
ep3_lol
Racer

Originally Posted by insite
doug - you mention bilstein not making good dampers 'at this price point', but then procede to offer alternatives that cost about 4x as much.

for the $1,800 range, PSS9's are pretty good. out of curiosity, what were the indicators on the shock dyno plots that lead you to believe these are junk?
This, haha. Another question...what makes them "bad", in everyday terms? Do these shock dynos indicate that the shocks don't hold their "settings", if you will, consistently, or is it something more subtle?
Old 10-26-2011, 09:12 PM
vinceb986
3rd Gear

Question This has become relavent to me so I'm curious

Should I just stick with my M030? mostly I suspect I should replace the struts (64K miles) and I was hoping to lower the car a bit say between .75 and 1.5 inches simply for appearance sake.

Figure 95%street 3%AutoX and 2%track (DE,Lap Days etc) No racing.

Vince
Boxster GT Project
Old 10-26-2011, 09:57 PM
racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by vinceb986
Should I just stick with my M030? mostly I suspect I should replace the struts (64K miles) and I was hoping to lower the car a bit say between .75 and 1.5 inches simply for appearance sake.

Figure 95%street 3%AutoX and 2%track (DE,Lap Days etc) No racing.

Vince
Boxster GT Project
You might consider either ROW M030 springs or perhaps H&R lowering springs, assuming you like how the car drives to begin with. Occasional ax or DE shouldn't really matter unless your skills far exceed the cars ability.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:33 PM
cretinx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

going to just repost what i previously posted as I'd have M030 and PSS9

"I've had M030 and I've had coilovers - you can't compare.

the M030 is much more pleasant on the street, much smoother to drive - its also easier to drive in a competitive environment - my rhythm when I autocrossed with the M030 was buttery smooth.

I have PSS9 coilovers now - they don't ride anywhere near as nice but the car is much lower and is super sharp - inputs result in immediate reaction, whereas with the M030 you kind of have to flow, knowing that the car will move fractionally after the input so you have to string everything together."
Old 10-27-2011, 04:46 PM
vinceb986
3rd Gear

Default Skill and Purpose

There is NO doubt in my mind that the car is WAY better than I am. I'd rather have it set up for street, as even after I do some Drivers Ed, I'll be hard pressed (read: Probably never happen) to get to a point where the car is my limiting factor - except maybe in my dreams.

I think perhaps it's worth trying the RoW M030 Springs, or the H&R. Since I'm after more of an appearance change than a significant handling change.

More research but I've got a better target now - RoW M030 vs H&R - any others I should consider? And what about Dampers?
Old 10-27-2011, 09:38 PM
racer
Drifting

Originally Posted by vinceb986
There is NO doubt in my mind that the car is WAY better than I am. I'd rather have it set up for street, as even after I do some Drivers Ed, I'll be hard pressed (read: Probably never happen) to get to a point where the car is my limiting factor - except maybe in my dreams.

I think perhaps it's worth trying the RoW M030 Springs, or the H&R. Since I'm after more of an appearance change than a significant handling change.

More research but I've got a better target now - RoW M030 vs H&R - any others I should consider? And what about Dampers?
The only difference between the US M030 and the ROW M030 is the springs. Shocks/dampers and sways are the same iirc. ROW springs are slightly shorter.

Suncoast used to sell the whole ROW kit. Not sure if you can get only springs as a standalone, hence the reference to an H&R spring kit.

Quick Reply: Considering PSS9s, quick question