-B&M short shifter
-Sun Auto Voltage Stabilizer

-Eibach Pro Coilovers
-Evo Motorsports front strut bar
-Evo Motorsports rear strut bar
-Eibach front sway bar
-Eibach rear sway bar

Just to name a few of the MANY modifications

Is it worth the $15k premium to current values?

THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENTS
Old 08-21-2011, 06:12 PM
harryrcb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sam it all depends on what your goals are, you will never recover the money put in on modifications if or when you resell the car, If you want one of a kind and don't mind putting the money into it, then go for it. performance from a 2.7 to a 3.2 is considerable you will also need to modify your DME . I have an 01 S (3.2) engine available if interested pm me. I also have an 05 3.4 Cayman S engine for even more fun.
If it were me I would the sell the base model and purchase an S. you start out with better suspension and brakes and the engine. you will most likely spend less money this way.\
Best wishes
Harry
Old 08-22-2011, 01:51 AM
samsam
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your reply harrycb

I am looking at buying this car that has the mods in place. It is really a turn key condition. I just was thinking how those mods may impact the operating systems of the car.

also is the car worth $15K more than current values for a 2000 boxster.

Thank you once again
Old 08-22-2011, 09:15 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

$15K above the usual? I imagine that is pushing $30K. For that money I could find a very nice 996 cab and not worry about any mod issues.

So, I would not pay a $15K premium for this car.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:47 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by samsam
-how does the following alter the oem systems of the car
=how does this benefit car performance and value
=any negative aspects to the modifications

2000 Boxster - 50k miles:

-Motor swap from 2.7L to a 3.2L
-Evo Motorsports intake system
-GHL race exhaust
-S-Car-Go race headers and cats
-Sachs Stage 2 street clutch
-B&M short shifter
-Sun Auto Voltage Stabilizer

-Eibach Pro Coilovers
-Evo Motorsports front strut bar
-Evo Motorsports rear strut bar
-Eibach front sway bar
-Eibach rear sway bar

Just to name a few of the MANY modifications

Is it worth the $15k premium to current values?

THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENTS
Only you can answer the question how do the mods benefit the car's performance and value.. well, let's leave value out of the question for now.

You will have to test drive the car and similar but non-modified cars to get a feel for how the mod'd car's performance is compared to the unmod'd cars.

How the car feels, performs is very subjective to the individual. The stock car handles pretty darn good so unless you plan on using the car on the track or in some other fashion where the nth degree of handling performance (assuming it is there) is well beneficial, it is like owning a gun that can shoot straighter than you can aim.

Now to be fair most of us who own these cars own a car that we can probably not get every last ounce of performance from, even on a track. They are quite fast, handle superbly, have good ride, good brakes, are fairly economical to own/operate, in short they are a very well balanced car.

The negative aspects of the mods can be many. It depends upon the quality of the hardware used, the professionalism of the installation/workmanship and how well the mod's integrate into the car as a whole and to each other.

You want to avoid a car that is tempermental, that requires fiddling before you can drive it, sets the check engine light often (at all), eats tires in a few thousand miles, gets poor gas mileage, has a exhaust that drones or is too loud to use the car for any length of time, rides too rough on the roads where you live, fails safety or emission testing/inspections, is a pain to service or to maintain, and so on.

As for value... that's hard to assess. If the car was just what you wanted and you knew just what you wanted and the only acceptable alternative to you was to buy a stock car and modify it to be just like this car, then this car's value could be worth the premium cause I think you'd be hardpressed to duplicate this car with just $15K.

In my opinion that you do not know this car is for you says to me this car is not for you.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:49 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll get more feedback posting under the "boxster" threads, not the "modifications" thread.

How will you use the car? Are the mods something YOU value? ie, driving in stop and go to work, these mods might not do much for you. Wanting to track the car, they might be just the ticket. If you plan some organized "racing", do the mods impact the class you would run in?

You don't mention the "price" for such a modded car, so the $$ side is hard to discuss, imho.

Quick Reply: Mods in Question