Sponsored by:

air conditioning drain

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 05:19 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default air conditioning drain

I'm dealing with moldy smell in the a/c. I've ordered a new air filter and the Einsett/Klima duct cleaner. I wanted to see if the drain (s) is plugged but am unfamiliar with the system. Is it a simple line off the evaporator in the cabin? I want to make sure the foam treatment gets on all of the ductwork and evaporator. Any thoughts about clear access?
Old 08-09-2011, 11:13 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by mytrplseven
I'm dealing with moldy smell in the a/c. I've ordered a new air filter and the Einsett/Klima duct cleaner. I wanted to see if the drain (s) is plugged but am unfamiliar with the system. Is it a simple line off the evaporator in the cabin? I want to make sure the foam treatment gets on all of the ductwork and evaporator. Any thoughts about clear access?
Based on a drawing I saw the A/C evap drain is approx center of the car, located approx. under the area of the battery.

From under the car the drain should be visible.

I do not know how to gain access -- better access -- to the A/C evap. I sort of wish I did because my Boxster's A/C system is starting to smell and even though last time changing the cabin filter helped the smell is back and the cabin filter is not that old, just months old.

Somewhere I came across a DIY article on gaining better/clearer access to the A/C evap in the Boxster for cleaning purposes but I can't recall where I saw it and I did not save a copy.

You might check out Pedro's Garage web site and see if there is a DIY link there.

If you find one post a link because I could use it.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:41 AM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I did see a post that recommended not only changing the cabin air filter but buying a can of einsett/kliman cleaner and odor control. It's sprayed into the center vents at the start and end of the summer season. It cleans the area responsible for the smell (supposedly) and is what the repair shops do. It's a foam that you spray and let set for 10 minutes and then run the system.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:41 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by mytrplseven
I did see a post that recommended not only changing the cabin air filter but buying a can of einsett/kliman cleaner and odor control. It's sprayed into the center vents at the start and end of the summer season. It cleans the area responsible for the smell (supposedly) and is what the repair shops do. It's a foam that you spray and let set for 10 minutes and then run the system.
The techs at the local Porsche dealer told me to use something called Ozium which comes in a spray bottle. But I'll remember your recommendation for Einsett/Kliman cleaner, too. Right now I don't know which one I'll use. I want to use something that attacks the source of the smell not just the smell. I don't want to mask the smell but eliminate its root cause.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: air conditioning drain