Sponsored by:

Need some help... posible fuel tank vent problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 11:42 PM
bmx672
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help... posible fuel tank vent problem

Okay guys, so today was the day I started to tackle the problem with fueling my Boxster (after three summers). I always thought it was the slipped tube flapper problem and didnt want to deal with it. It wasnt the problem. My filler tube is shrouded by a plastic tube in the tank and is not in contact with anything. It free flows from the filler all the way into the tank.
So, that means a vent problem...
The attached photo shows the top of the sending unit. My finger is pointing to the vent. I took the unit out and was unable to blow in or out (I know its a one way). My question is, does that mean that its bad, or are there electronics involved? Im trying to find out if this part is bad regardless if it's plugged in or not to the system. I would think that I should be able to suck air through it...
(I was able to blow through the tube attached to it on the outside by the way.)
Any help is VERY appreciated!

Old 08-09-2011, 03:37 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by bmx672
Okay guys, so today was the day I started to tackle the problem with fueling my Boxster (after three summers). I always thought it was the slipped tube flapper problem and didnt want to deal with it. It wasnt the problem. My filler tube is shrouded by a plastic tube in the tank and is not in contact with anything. It free flows from the filler all the way into the tank.
So, that means a vent problem...
The attached photo shows the top of the sending unit. My finger is pointing to the vent. I took the unit out and was unable to blow in or out (I know its a one way). My question is, does that mean that its bad, or are there electronics involved? Im trying to find out if this part is bad regardless if it's plugged in or not to the system. I would think that I should be able to suck air through it...
(I was able to blow through the tube attached to it on the outside by the way.)
Any help is VERY appreciated!

The pic link is present but the pic doesn't show.

Are you sure there's a real problem? I mean I know sometimes fueling these cars can be a bit of a pain, though my Boxster is better in this regard than my Turbo (which is more sensitive to gas station nozzles than the Boxster) but absent a CEL with codes that point to a vapor recovery system problem...

My info is the evaporative canister purge valve has an arrow on it that indicates the direction of air flow. When the valve is installed correctly the connector must face towards the rear.

If you tried to blow through this without triggering the valve to open by some means then the fact you couldn't blow through the valve makes sense. The valve is probably not bad but needs to be activated in order to open.

With the proper equipment (PST2 or PIWIS) you can command the valve to open. Without access to one of these devices there might be a way to jury rig the valve to open but I am not qualified to suggest a way.

You can check the valve's voltage supply. Disconnect the EVAP canister purge valve connector and connect the + lead of a voltmeter to pin 1 of the connector and vehicle ground. Turn the ignition key to on. Read battery voltage.

There's a way to check the ohms but this requires a Porsche pin-out-box so you can connect the ohmmeter to pin 61 and EVAP canister purge value connector [pin?] 2.

Lastly, disconnect the hose leading from teh EVAP canister purge valve to the engine intake system. Disconnect the harness connector from the EVAP purge valve.

Connect a vacuum pump to the EVAP canister and generate approx. 0.7 bar of vacuum. Vacuum reading should not fall below 0.5 bar after 10 minutes.

There's more and I'll type it in if you feel it might of some value to you. Just ask.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Need some help... posible fuel tank vent problem