Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004

Overheat/Coolant Loss

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011 | 10:49 PM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Default Overheat/Coolant Loss

I have an odd one on my 01' base 986'. Some coolant found in the trunk however I don't see any cracks etc. in reservoir tank. I topped up with coolant which seemed to stabilize things however I got a engine temp./low coolant warning lights with no visible coolant loss. Car is now parked. Thoughts?
Old 07-12-2011 | 11:46 PM
Sumflow
Instructor

From: Hawaii ~ The driver smiled, when he lost the car in pursuit..
Lightbulb Air

Bleed the air out of the system.

A shop is in a hurry and will rev the engine with RPM surges. But you can be gentle and get it done when you are driving the car.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...r-in-radiator/

http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/I...tructions.html

Last edited by Sumflow; 07-13-2011 at 12:22 AM.
Old 07-13-2011 | 08:23 AM
Red_Dog
AutoX

Check closer for cracks in your coolant tank. Since you noticed coolant in your trunk area this is most likely the issue. Typically if you have a discharge from the cap or relief valve you will moisture on the underside of your deck lid where it closes onto the coolant fill access. Also, this area has a drain tube which would discharge any coolant onto the ground. There is info on the Renntech site which give great detail on this subject with photos and how to if you need to change a tank.
Old 07-13-2011 | 02:51 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by pfitzsim
I have an odd one on my 01' base 986'. Some coolant found in the trunk however I don't see any cracks etc. in reservoir tank. I topped up with coolant which seemed to stabilize things however I got a engine temp./low coolant warning lights with no visible coolant loss. Car is now parked. Thoughts?
Unlikely you could see the crack. When my 02's tank let go the crack was along a seam or fold/crease on the tank's bottom.

If you want to 'stress' test the tank, be sure the tank fluid level is right. Do not trust your eyes through the viewport. The tank is likely stained and what you think is the fluid level is just the stain, like a bath tub ring. With the engine cold open the cap and use your finger or something like a dipstick to actually verify how much fluid is in the tank.

With the tank topped up then wash/rinse the coolant cap under hot water and remove all coolant/anti-freeze residue. Wipe down where the cap fits so it fits securely and seals perfectly. Install the cap properly. Do not cross thread.

Start the engine and take the car for a drive. Leave the A/C off. You don't have to drive fast or hard, but in fact just tooling around town in 2nd gear with some idling at the stop lights will do it. You want to drive the car enough that the engine gets up to temp and you hear/feel the radiator fans come on.

Go home and park the car and raise the rpms to 1500 or even 2K and hold the rpms there until you hear the radiator fans come on. Get out of the car and verify both fans are running and are putting out about the same amount of air.

Get back in the car and raise the rpms again until the fans come on again. Shut off the engine.

Stand back. If the coolant tank is leaking has a weakness the odds are it will fail and hot coolant will gush out. Then you know.

If you haven't already, replace the coolant tank cap with a newer one with a part # ending in '02' or '04'. IIRC '03' was skipped. Anyhow, the new cap should have a part # that is not '00' or '01'.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-13-2011 | 04:49 PM
Fly911
Rennlist Member

I hope you don't have fluids intermix! Check the coolant for oil and the oil for coolant... I had that in my 996, and it cost me a new engine...!!!
Old 07-19-2011 | 02:42 PM
slogans7
4th Gear

Just had similar problem on my '02. The threads on the plastic coolant expansion tank can wear out, causing leakage. Even with a new cap, the problem may persist. So you may need a new expansion tank.
Old 07-19-2011 | 05:30 PM
JFP in PA
Advanced

Pressure test the system to about 18-20 PSIG, if it drops any pressure in 15 min. you have a leak, most likely at the tank. You can also purchase UV coolant dye to add to your coolant that will leave a pronounced stain visible under UV light where ever there are any leaks.
Old 07-19-2011 | 05:44 PM
Sumflow
Instructor

Lightbulb Is it possible, Oil in water?

stock photo

What could cause the oil to leak into the coolant, and not have coolant leak into the oil?
Old 07-19-2011 | 09:07 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sumflow

stock photo

What could cause the oil to leak into the coolant, and not have coolant leak into the oil?
The leak is located in a high pressure passage of the oil system and this forces oil at sometimes 60psi or higher into the cooling system passage. No way the cooling system can develop that much pressure.

Even so depending upon where the leak is located some coolant might flow into the oil passage through the hole after the engine is shut off and if the engine was hot when it was shut off and the cooling system pressure remains elevated or climbs for a while after the engine was shut off.

However, the amount will probably be so small that it may not show up without an oil analysis which will detect the presence of water and anti-freeze in the oil.

But with the coolant (at least in the picture you posted) that full of oil who cares? The engine has a serious problem and an engine tear down is almost certainly required.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-13-2011 | 05:32 PM
Sumflow
Instructor

Lightbulb Bubbling coolent

What would it look like if two types of anti-freeze were mixed?
Old 08-14-2011 | 08:26 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sumflow
What would it look like if two types of anti-freeze were mixed?
I've never seen coolant mixed before. I have read posts from others that report that in some cases the mixing of dissimilar anti-freezes can lead to the mixture gelling but what this would look like I have no idea.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 08-14-2011 | 09:23 PM
Plyman438
Instructor

Originally Posted by Macster
I've never seen coolant mixed before. I have read posts from others that report that in some cases the mixing of dissimilar anti-freezes can lead to the mixture gelling but what this would look like I have no idea.

Sincerely,

Macster.
When I had my PPI done back in March, the Porsche mechanic told me the wrong coolant was in my soon to be mine Boxster and was supposed to be either Porsche pink or Audi G12 clear and not the green stuff that was showing through viewfinder. The Audi dealer I bought it from had just changed out the water pump and tried to go cheap with common green coolant. So my buying was contingent on them redraining the system and putting proper coolant in. No problem since other than I had to add a little couple times because of air pockets. I've put about 2500 miles on my Boxster so far this summer with no problems. I hope to God I never open my rear deck lid and see a mess like shown above. That is a horrible nightmare.

--------------------------------------------------------
2001 Orient Red Metallic Boxster
Old 08-15-2011 | 08:22 AM
lilredpo
Pro

I had that 'milkshake' in a 944 when I blew the head gasket. Oil and water don't mix.
Old 08-15-2011 | 09:05 AM
insite
Three Wheelin'

that can be a bad oil cooler. engine will still run fine, but oil shows up in the coolant.
Old 08-24-2011 | 05:00 AM
Sumflow
Instructor

Lightbulb OIl in water

Originally Posted by Macster
But with the coolant (at least in the picture you posted) that full of oil who cares? The engine has a serious problem and an engine tear down is almost certainly required.
You had me worried Macster. It turns out to have been an easy fix. It is not a serious problem, and you do not have to tear down the engine, unless it is. If this happens to anyone else. You continue to see oil in the water, but no water in the oil. Check your heat exchanger under pressure for leaks.

1. Place top in service position.
2. Open engine compartment.
3. Remove air tube from throttle body, and air intake box, on the left side.
4. Remove oil heat exchanger - 4 hex screws.
5. Replace O rings.
6. Install new oil heat exchanger.

Installation is the reverse of removal. Use Dawn to remove the oil from your cooling system.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Overheat/Coolant Loss