Sponsored by:

LOOKING AHEAD.....WINTER TIRES

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 01:35 PM
recycled sixties
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LOOKING AHEAD.....WINTER TIRES

I am a new owner of a 2001 Boxster and would like to ask winter drivers what they would recommend for 1) make of winter tires2) make of rims and 3) who would be a good supplier(Tire RacK?) Please keep in mind that I have no psm.
Cheers,
From recycled sixties in Edmonton Canada.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:32 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I ran two of my Boxsters with Dunlop Wintersport M3s. This was a few years ago, so not sure if they have the same tire available...maybe an evolution of such? Anyway, I loved them. I ran them on a used set of Porsche rims (stock 17" size) purchased from another Rennlister (or was it a Pelicanite?). Not sure I'd buy new wheels for winter use...they're just going to get salted, etc. I bought my tires at the Tire Rack and had them fitted by my independent mechanic.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:56 AM
EPWilson
Advanced

For this past winter I found a set of OEM 16" rims that I could get cheaply (some of the wheels were a little scratched) and then mounted Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 snow tires (205/55R-16 front, 225/50R-16 rear). I didn't go out in any huge snow storms but when I did drive in light snow or rain I had no issues.

You didn't mention if you have an S (3.2L), in which case the 16s will not fit over the larger brakes and the smallest you could go is 17. I believe the 16s would fit on the base Boxster (2.7L). If you have to use 17" wheels, I've heard good things about the Dunlop Wintersport M3s (or latest) and Michelin has another Performance Winter tire similar to the Primacy that comes in the bigger sizes.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:18 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Tirerack is great or order through Paul at Eurasia...personally I have our winter cars on Dunlop 3D or M3 winters...fantastic snows.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:24 AM
recycled sixties
Advanced

Default winter tires...

Thanks to the replies about winter tires. Yes Leigh2 I did get a ppi at Eurasia and so far I am impressed with them. I got a ballpark quote on winter tires. I trust that you do not drive your p car in winter then? I am addicted to driving something sporty in winter and I will give it a good shot with the Boxster this winter although I am sure this car is more suited to California driving(I enjoy being in SFO in winter and notice the number of P cars there).

You may also note my other threads on winter driving etc. So far I am really pleased with the Boxster and feel that it is more substantial than the Miata.
Any advice you can give this p car greenhorn is appreciated!
Guy In Edmonton.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:41 PM
Optical TDI
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use Dunlop D3 on my 996 with excellent results. Bought the setup from a PCA member. If you want new, I would recommend Tire Rack.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:19 PM
lilredpo
Pro

Toyo Open Countries....on an LR3.

(sorry, always at least one wise a$$ in the bunch)

Seriously, in a heated and humidity controlled garage all winter, except for a quick jaunt one nice January day. Could barely see over the snow banks
Attached Images   
Old 06-22-2011, 08:50 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Believe it or not I am taking several calls a day this month from people looking ahead to snow tires. While most inventory is still a month or so out, it's not too soon.

Please give me call. I'd be happy to help.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:23 PM
provoste
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought a used set of oem sport classics (17 inch) last season and wrapped them in bridgestone blizzak LM's (from tire rack) on my 986s. I was shocked how well it performed.

Quick Reply: LOOKING AHEAD.....WINTER TIRES