Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My New 2012 Boxster Spyder - Guards Red

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 09:28 PM
cas951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boxster Spyder sure are stunning in any color I've seen to date.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:42 PM
Pochi.X
Advanced

Exclamation

Originally Posted by cas951
Boxster Spyder sure are stunning in any color I've seen to date.
Stunning car overall, I just hope they (Porsche obviously) distinguish the next model Spyder front so that a person can tell it's a Spyder assuming he's not a Porsche guru.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:26 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by balakris
Hello all- First time poster here, and it's a good one! Just picked up a 2012 Spyder after nearly a 2 month search. I came from a Honda S2000 that I had for 6 years.

I considered a variety of cars, 997 911S (CPO), M3, and even a Nissan GT-R.

In the end the Spyder had the best feel, best look, and provided the most excitement. Below are some picts. IMO its the best looking Porsche in production. It's Guards Red, 6 spd, sport buckets.
]
What a beauty, congrats! I think the Spyder looks good in any color but a polished guards red really stands out! I also agree that it is by far the best looking car in their line up. It is a truly unique design and even the average person will either stare or drop their jaw when they see it.

I like the painted rollover bars too, nice touch

Originally Posted by Pochi.X
Stunning car overall, I just hope they (Porsche obviously) distinguish the next model Spyder front so that a person can tell it's a Spyder assuming he's not a Porsche guru.
The Spyder does have a unique front end. The Silver intake and LED lights are unique to the Spyder as is the rubber splitter. I agree that it doesn't have as much of an impact as the rear but it is very effective when combined with the rest of the modifications.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:36 PM
balakris
Instructor

Any of you Spyder guys (or non Spyder for that matter) have the clear bra stuff? Is it worth it? Thinking about getting the front bumper, lights, and hood done.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:49 PM
Plyman438
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any of you Spyder guys (or non Spyder for that matter) have the clear bra stuff? Is it worth it? Thinking about getting the front bumper, lights, and hood done.
At a recent Zone 4 PCA meet at MIS, I was talking to fellow PCA member that just bought a new black Spyder that had the clear bra put on. While he preffered it over the regular bra obviously, he was complaining about the application results. Not related, but I just had a new top put on my 2001 Boxster and installer put a 4 inch long scratch on my door. Luckily not through the primer, but not pretty either. So I made them fix it. So I believe the clear bra process is rather messy. If you get it done, expect a very good job and check it out thoroughly before leaving.

------------------------------
2001 Orient Red Boxster
Old 06-01-2011, 12:08 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had one installed a couple of weeks ago and would highly recommend it. I had a custom installation including front bumper, full hood, full fenders, rear fender flares, part of the rockers, behind each wheel, rocker panels, mirrors and a piece that covers the bottom of the rear bumper where rocks kick up. Overall I'm very happy with the install, not scratches noted. There are a few flaws on the film but definitely tolerable.

I polished and waxed it and the reflective qualities are about 90% of the factories finish.

Either way it's better than needing a respray after 5 years.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:51 AM
Pochi.X
Advanced

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
What a beauty, congrats! I think the Spyder looks good in any color but a polished guards red really stands out! I also agree that it is by far the best looking car in their line up. It is a truly unique design and even the average person will either stare or drop their jaw when they see it.

I like the painted rollover bars too, nice touch

Reminds me of those Ferrari Spyder (F430 cabrio and such), which are the coolest cabrio cars ever!

The Spyder does have a unique front end. The Silver intake and LED lights are unique to the Spyder as is the rubber splitter. I agree that it doesn't have as much of an impact as the rear but it is very effective when combined with the rest of the modifications.
Yeah I have noticed those, but they are more of a (Facelift) rather than complete different front end, not saying it's bad, it's actually gorgeous, but still not enough to stand out from the regular Boxster, or even a Cayman for that matter.

Still though, if I had the money to buy and wait for it... Maintain one! I'd buy it in an instant.

Only bad thing about this car is: it doesn't have many colour options like a 911 or even a Cayman, and seriously I hate the backlight, looks like some korean backlights, but the red does really a good job in hiding those hideous backlights, and makes the car really stand out!

I am gonna bet this car gonna be a timeless classic in the future, or starting from now!
Old 06-01-2011, 02:22 PM
balakris
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pochi.X
Reminds me of those Ferrari Spyder (F430 cabrio and such), which are the coolest cabrio cars ever!

Yeah I have noticed those, but they are more of a (Facelift) rather than complete different front end, not saying it's bad, it's actually gorgeous, but still not enough to stand out from the regular Boxster, or even a Cayman for that matter.

Still though, if I had the money to buy and wait for it... Maintain one! I'd buy it in an instant.

Only bad thing about this car is: it doesn't have many colour options like a 911 or even a Cayman, and seriously I hate the backlight, looks like some korean backlights, but the red does really a good job in hiding those hideous backlights, and makes the car really stand out!

I am gonna bet this car gonna be a timeless classic in the future, or starting from now!
I've had a few folks tell me that it looks like a baby F430 especially considering the color. I'll take that

I'm actually a fan of the rear lights they blend well with the red. In person they look much better than in pics.

But your talking to someone who likes the look with the top on as much as with it off.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:44 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Beautiful car......
Old 06-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've had a few folks tell me that it looks like a baby F430 especially considering the color. I'll take that

I'm actually a fan of the rear lights they blend well with the red. In person they look much better than in pics.

But your talking to someone who likes the look with the top on as much as with it off.
I think the new rear lights look great. I love how they curve down and have the LED going across the top.

I also like the look with the top up or down but I prefer it down since that is what this car is all about!

I know most may not agree with me on this but I personally like the look of the Spyder more than the 430. The proportions look better and the curves don't look "forced". Like I said before, I think it's rare to see a car these days that has beautiful lines from every angle. I wouldn't change a thing on it.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:40 PM
Pochi.X
Advanced

Exclamation

It's F430 little brother

I am in the same boat as you, I do like the top when it' on which looks much, much better than the hideous regular Boxster one, and when it's off to give it the sporty, ferrarish kind of look.

I know most may not agree with me on this but I personally like the look of the Spyder more than the 430. The proportions look better and the curves don't look "forced". Like I said before, I think it's rare to see a car these days that has beautiful lines from every angle. I wouldn't change a thing on it.
F430 is a legend of it's own , my favourite modern Ferrari, and this car does a good job in having the same look and probably feeling as F430 without looking a duplicate of it.

I just wish Porsche doesn't cease to produce the Boxster Spyder in the future and by the next major overhaul of the Boxster.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:13 PM
jabbey
Advanced

Love the new Spyder. So, candid thoughts. Although this car is clearly meant to be driven with the sun shade off, have you driven it at highway speeds with it on? Problems? I had a dealer suggest that you wouldn't want to drive the car more than 20-30MPH. Insane. Why would he say that? I'm lusting for this car and need you to say, it's ok! :-)
Old 06-01-2011, 10:21 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've driven with the Sunshade on up to 90 mph with absolutely no problems. Wind noise does increase above 70 mph but it's not overbearing. With the top down I've gone even faster (won't mention) and the wind in the cockpit is not bad at all. You could easily have a conversation with someone at speeds below 100 mph and maybe raise your a bit above those speeds.

The only reason I could see why any dealer would tell you can't drive above 30 mph with the top on is because he/she doesn't have an allocation and wants to sell you a Boxster S. I would have suggested to the sales guy/gal that you need to check your facts.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:35 PM
jabbey
Advanced

Thanks for the rapid reply. As it turns out, I was staring at an unsold Spyder. It was PDK and I'm absolutely committed to Guards Red and this model was Basalt Black. It was not even considered, I just wanted to lay eyes on it.

I've always thought that a 911 was my dream and I thought for sure I'd focus on a 997 MKII (pre owned). Then I read about this one with all the 911 snobbery going full bore....and then I start thinking, I don't care about the badge and the snide remarks from my co-workers about the stereotypes of the boxster! This is way better looking than any 997 IMHO and I'm confident I'll be too busy trying not to smile about driving this thing. I'm sold.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:38 PM
balakris
Instructor

Originally Posted by jabbey
Thanks for the rapid reply. As it turns out, I was staring at an unsold Spyder. It was PDK and I'm absolutely committed to Guards Red and this model was Basalt Black. It was not even considered, I just wanted to lay eyes on it.

I've always thought that a 911 was my dream and I thought for sure I'd focus on a 997 MKII (pre owned). Then I read about this one with all the 911 snobbery going full bore....and then I start thinking, I don't care about the badge and the snide remarks from my co-workers about the stereotypes of the boxster! This is way better looking than any 997 IMHO and I'm confident I'll be too busy trying not to smile about driving this thing. I'm sold.
To your first question the soft top is rated up to 120mph according to the owner's manual.

I was in the same boat for a long time, I dreamed of a 911. My budget puts me at a used 997S. I drove both cars and there is little comparison. Light, agile, balanced, and power to spare the Spyder gives the the 911S a run for the money. All this with an exotic look. I don't have GT3 money which, is probably the only 911 that I would enjoy more than this one.

Quick Reply: My New 2012 Boxster Spyder - Guards Red