Sponsored by:

Tiptronic gas milage "sweet spot"

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 11:21 AM
aowolf
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tiptronic gas milage "sweet spot"

I've had my 2.5 Tiptronic since September and absolutely love it. (I would love a standard transmission but don't have use of my legs, and I can't find hand controls for a clutch) I recently sorted out all of my O2 issues (Thanks Macster!) and calculated out my gas mileage. I'm averaging 24.75 MPG driving 70-80 MPH highway in the Florida heat. I split my test time 50/50 top down and top up.

I'm curious how many MPG other drivers of tiptronics are averaging and a what highway speeds they are cruising at. Obviously I didn't buy a mid-engined roadster for efficiency, but sometimes I just want to relax and cruise on my commute :-)
Old 05-25-2011, 09:37 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by aowolf
I've had my 2.5 Tiptronic since September and absolutely love it. (I would love a standard transmission but don't have use of my legs, and I can't find hand controls for a clutch) I recently sorted out all of my O2 issues (Thanks Macster!) and calculated out my gas mileage. I'm averaging 24.75 MPG driving 70-80 MPH highway in the Florida heat. I split my test time 50/50 top down and top up.

I'm curious how many MPG other drivers of tiptronics are averaging and a what highway speeds they are cruising at. Obviously I didn't buy a mid-engined roadster for efficiency, but sometimes I just want to relax and cruise on my commute :-)
Glad I was of some help.

I can't help you with Tip gas mileage numbers because my 2.7l car is a 5-speed (and of course a bit different engine).

24 to 25mpg though in your case doesn't sound too bad, sounds about right. Though we have yet to hear from others so my opinion may be proved to be wrong.

Still, I think it about right.

My 02 Boxster gets slightly better gas mileage but it is a manual and I think the 2.7l engine is just a bit better on gas than the 2.5l engine, despite the slightly bigger displacement. Not to worry though, that is the way it often is. The newer Boxster base engines that are even larger (2.9l) and develop more HP than the 2.7l engine reportedly deliver better gas mileage.

You know 70 to 80mph (especially 80mph) cruising is going to burn more gas all other things being equal compared to a lower cruising speed. You might pick up a few mpg by dropping down to 70mph though I don't' always practice what I preach. When I'm on the highway if conditions permit I'm at the legal posted limit and in CA that's 70mph (in places but not many places) or 75mph in for instance NV, AZ, NM, UT, WY, NE and on some toll roads in OK and KS. And even 80mph on some sections of I-10 and I-20 out in west TX.

Be sure the air pressure in the tires is proper, that you keep the car is empty of any unnecessary weight and you keep the engine in good tune.

This doesn't require much other than the engine air filter is keep 'fresh', the plugs changed when due, and buy gas from a busy name brand gas station and buy the proper grade of gas.

Considering the performance these cars offer they do real well on gas but paying attention can help you improve on this by maybe 5% or a bit more.

Happy motoring!

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Tiptronic gas milage "sweet spot"