Sponsored by:

new type ims and 06 v 07 boxster

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 08:42 PM
kriss
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new type ims and 06 v 07 boxster

two threads-one my porsche mechanic says there is a relatively new ims replacement-ceramic bearing oil fed lubrication that should permanently fix the situation.

second, a porsche dealer has a 06 base with 36k miles and 07 base with 49k miles for about the same price($25k). if both cars have similar histories I think the 07 with the new type engine and more power might be the better choice even with the higher miles.do you agree?
Old 04-28-2011, 10:00 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by kriss
two threads-one my porsche mechanic says there is a relatively new ims replacement-ceramic bearing oil fed lubrication that should permanently fix the situation.

second, a porsche dealer has a 06 base with 36k miles and 07 base with 49k miles for about the same price($25k). if both cars have similar histories I think the 07 with the new type engine and more power might be the better choice even with the higher miles.do you agree?
IIRC the 06 and 07 models have the same engine. More recent Boxster and Caymans (circa 2009 or newer) received a redesigned engine that essentially does away with the IMS and its problematic bearing.

The IMS replacement bearing your mechanic speaks of comes from LN Engineering and was developed to replace the factory bearing.

For more info on this you'll have to visit LN's web site and read all the literature on the thing.

Maybe you want to start here?

http://www.lnengineering.com/ims.html

Either car should be a good car. Generally newer is better but one year difference and not a model change over IIRC, the cars are nearly the same, though one year apart.

Condition and price and options probably should drive your decision not age, not one year difference.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: new type ims and 06 v 07 boxster