Sponsored by:

2001 2.7L exhaust upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 12:55 PM
Klimo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 2.7L exhaust upgrade

I know this topic is always done to death, but after doing searches I haven't exactly got my answer.

I guess first I should say what I'm trying to accomplish. Just a nice increase in sound with out the drone so track exhaust is out.

I think I have narrowed my choices down to a few. I wanted to know if using the Fabspeed secondary bypass pipes would give me any kind of worthwhile sound increase. At 500$ it seems like the most cost effective thing to try. don't want to waste my time though if it really isn't going to do much with the stock muffler still on there.

Would I be better off just going with the Fabspeed muffler set up? Would adding the bypass pipes to that be too loud/droney?

Also, would be interested in any pre owned options. I am set on Fabspeed as my shop is very familiar with them and recommended them as my #1 choice.

Thanks for all you help.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:36 PM
harryrcb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

save your money and do the Pedro upgrade. http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/M...t_Exhaust.html ( no affiliation on my part)
Old 04-28-2011, 05:32 PM
Klimo
Intermediate

Went with maxflo muffler with secondary cat delete and ecu from Fabspeed. Its a little pricey, but seems to be the best stuff out there. Plus Joey at Fabspeed couldn't be any better to deal with. He even gave me a little break on the price! That pushed me over the edge. Will be installed week of May 9th. I will update driving impressions then....
Old 04-29-2011, 12:05 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I did the Pedro Muffler mod on my car and I like the results. It doesn't sound quite as cool as the PSE on my 996 but it is a nice improvement and it has none of the drone I experienced when I instructed in a students car with an aftermarket muffler (can't remember which one).
Old 05-04-2011, 03:47 PM
98Boxster
Instructor

Originally Posted by Klimo
Went with maxflo muffler with secondary cat delete and ecu from Fabspeed. Its a little pricey, but seems to be the best stuff out there. Plus Joey at Fabspeed couldn't be any better to deal with. He even gave me a little break on the price! That pushed me over the edge. Will be installed week of May 9th. I will update driving impressions then....
Hi - I am in Oak Creek (Milwaukee)! My Boxster has a B&B exhaust. I like it a lot, would love to hear your new set up though. Did you get the car back yet? Where is Fabspeed again, Cedarburg?
Old 05-05-2011, 11:29 AM
cretinx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm having a custom built setup done for $400+free labor.

People spending thousands on exhausts are insane.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:11 PM
Klimo
Intermediate

What kind of custom set up do you have? custom muffler or just pipes or both?

Car goes in on Monday. Fabspeed is where I got the parts. They are in PA I think. Chris Schuh at CS motorsports is doing the work. They are in menomonee falls.
Old 05-06-2011, 01:30 PM
cretinx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Klimo
What kind of custom set up do you have? custom muffler or just pipes or both?

Car goes in on Monday. Fabspeed is where I got the parts. They are in PA I think. Chris Schuh at CS motorsports is doing the work. They are in menomonee falls.
We're doing something similar to this

we'll be replacing the secondary (unnecessary) cats with resonators and have a pair of magnaflow mufflers to quiet things down - materials are roughly $400, labor is free since my co-driver will be doing the work.

Quick Reply: 2001 2.7L exhaust upgrade