Sponsored by:

Cat built in the factory header?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 11:52 AM
aimprecision
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Cat built in the factory header?

I have heard that the factory headers of post 2000 Boxster has built in Cats. Therefore they can add the cat bypass pipe instead of the 2nd cats along the middle of the pipes.

However I have looked at some post 2000 2.7L Boxster headers, they don't have the "lump or swell" in the header. So I assume that the cats were not built in???
Can anyone please help me with this? I am thinking to get the cat bypass pipe really soon. I am experiencing exhaust leak around that section. Thanks.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:37 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by aimprecision
I have heard that the factory headers of post 2000 Boxster has built in Cats. Therefore they can add the cat bypass pipe instead of the 2nd cats along the middle of the pipes.

However I have looked at some post 2000 2.7L Boxster headers, they don't have the "lump or swell" in the header. So I assume that the cats were not built in???
Can anyone please help me with this? I am thinking to get the cat bypass pipe really soon. I am experiencing exhaust leak around that section. Thanks.
2000 + USA Boxsters have 4 catalytic converters, 1 per exhaust manifold (header) & 1 per side right before the muffler. Aftermarket headers are available with & without converters. What year is your boxster, what exhaust is on it now & what are you trying to accomplish?
Old 04-12-2011, 10:10 PM
aimprecision
8th Gear

My Boxster is a 2004 2.7L Australian Version.
The previous owner has changed 2 universal (non Porsche) cats with bad bend and connection in the pipes. Although I just found it out recently after driving it for over a year and noticed that my exhaust sound is not as good as other Boxster.

Therefore I took my car to the exhaust place trying to fix it. And thought the Fabspeed cat bypass pipe could be the solution. But then found out that the headers don't seem to have the lump/swell as what a cat should look like.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:37 PM
harryrcb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aimprecision
My Boxster is a 2004 2.7L Australian Version.
The previous owner has changed 2 universal (non Porsche) cats with bad bend and connection in the pipes. Although I just found it out recently after driving it for over a year and noticed that my exhaust sound is not as good as other Boxster.

Therefore I took my car to the exhaust place trying to fix it. And thought the Fabspeed cat bypass pipe could be the solution. But then found out that the headers don't seem to have the lump/swell as what a cat should look like.
you can get the Fabspeed with or without the cats. If you don't have inspection for exhaust in your area you really don't need them (will make the car louder)they do cost more. but you still need your O2 sensors
Old 04-13-2011, 12:05 AM
aimprecision
8th Gear

The high flow cat pipe is quite dear and it's almost 50% of the whole exhaust system, if taken account the installation cost as well. I just want to get back to at least stock performance. At the moment the bad bend in the mid piple next to the cat looks terrible. It's not even a press bend pipe. It looks like a quick fit/fix before sale.

Quick Reply: Cat built in the factory header?