Sponsored by:

?? urethane suspension bushings

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 06:43 PM
Badcow!
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?? urethane suspension bushings

I'm about to install the ROW M030 suspension on my base model with 85,000 miles. I'm thinking about replacing the bushings while I'm in there. Anyone done this? What is best way to remove old rubber and install new urethane? Are there other parts that need replacing while I'm installing new suspension parts? TIA
David
Old 04-05-2011, 08:09 PM
harryrcb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here check this site out. there is another company in england that makes them but they are not going to be any better
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...SUSprf_pg3.htm
Old 04-05-2011, 08:25 PM
Badcow!
Intermediate

Hi, Thank for the reference to a supplier. I plan to use them. I'm curious about tips, techniques or concerns related to replacing the old rubber with the urethane.

thanks,
David
Old 04-06-2011, 12:09 AM
harryrcb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Badcow!
Hi, Thank for the reference to a supplier. I plan to use them. I'm curious about tips, techniques or concerns related to replacing the old rubber with the urethane.

thanks,
David
Sorry misunderstood. I have not done mine yet but plan to, during my search for information the only downside is sometimes they make noice (squeek) but I'm looking for the stiffer bushings to improve handling. If you pull the trigger before me, make sure to let us all know how they work for you. Haven't found anyone that has used them yet.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:34 PM
cretinx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

your ride quality will degrade when using a urethane.
replacing with OE will maintain a semblance of ride quality, but it won't be as "tight" feeling.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:13 AM
aimprecision
8th Gear

Will harder bushings hurt other suspension components?
E.g. easier to bend the arm/linkage?
Old 04-13-2011, 01:20 AM
Badcow!
Intermediate

Ride quality is a subjective variable. I own a Porsche because it provides a welcome driving experience. I drive hard - very spirited. Most of my driving is twisty roads and auto-x. My car has 85,000 miles. The suspension is loose.

I consider the suspension components wear-items not unlike tires, brakes and fluids - they need to be replaced periodically. I have had other cars and upgraded some of the bushings to polyurethane and liked the outcome. I'm pretty sure I will like it here, too. I expect that the Urethane will be a bit stiffer than the rubber in the beginning and over the long-term it will maintain its stiffness where the rubber will degrade and soften much more quickly leading to a more rapid decline in the ride quality and handling I desire.

I'm surprised by the responses. I thought surely there were others on here who had done this mod. Maybe they spend their time driving and not looking at the boards. I admit I haven't been here in a while either. My bad.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:39 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I simply believe it is a matter of lack of traffic here with Boxster owners, and many enthusiast road cars are just now approaching this point of replacement. My 01 S has 75K miles and I am just now thinking of replacing some of these components like you are. For true racing use most skip poly for delrin or monoballs depending on application so there likely just is not a huge installed base on this forum for the poly bits.

On other cars they are indeed known to make some noise and may not last as long as delrin for track use but will be stiffer than OEM rubber. I'm not all that far behind you but still trying to decide how aggressive to go when I refresh the suspension.

Quick Reply: ?? urethane suspension bushings