Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone deleted their center console?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 12:48 PM
AutoAtlanta
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Has anyone deleted their center console?

Flipping through Wayne's new book last night I had an inclination that I should delete the center console in the Boxster for the "GT3 look". Being that I am so tall, it is sometimes uncomfortable for me to drive, especially on long drives. Does anyone have a picture of the finished product?

I suppose I could just order the stuff and look at it, but I was curious if anyone had any pictures or driver experiences?
Old 04-07-2011, 01:52 PM
nosnow
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I did the upgrade and love the extra room, my shin no longer gets sore from resting on the upper consoe. I also think it looks pretty good. I don't have a pic of mine but here is a product shot.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...86trimupgrades
Old 04-07-2011, 04:59 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did mine too a few years back. Liked the open space for my shin/knee area. Also ripped off the owners manual holder that sits under the dash as well for a bit more room. No pics though.

One thing to consider is that some later years, with the advent of cupholders in the center dash, that lower space was then used by either/both stereo stuff or HVAC controls. My car had neither of these lower dash concerns so removing the storage unit was a no brainer. Nice "finished" look as well.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:20 PM
Phi1720
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 04-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Phi1720
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by racer
Did mine too a few years back. Liked the open space for my shin/knee area. Also ripped off the owners manual holder that sits under the dash as well for a bit more room. No pics though.

One thing to consider is that some later years, with the advent of cupholders in the center dash, that lower space was then used by either/both stereo stuff or HVAC controls. My car had neither of these lower dash concerns so removing the storage unit was a no brainer. Nice "finished" look as well.
This is what has kept me from doing the delete already. I've got my HVAC controls in the lower console and cup holders above the radio. Is there a harness extension available to put my HVAC where the cupholders currently sit?
Old 04-07-2011, 06:32 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phi1720
This is what has kept me from doing the delete already. I've got my HVAC controls in the lower console and cup holders above the radio. Is there a harness extension available to put my HVAC where the cupholders currently sit?
I would do a search as I do know of folks who have removed the cup holders and put the HVAC in the upper dash (like the earlier cars), allowing for lower console delete. You may not actually need an "extension" but I can't be certain.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:43 PM
nosnow
Rennlist Member

Actually I think Porsche use to sell "extension kits" for those boxster owners who wanted to move the controls to make room for cup holders. You probably will just need to neatly tie up the harness under the dash. It doesn't sound like a huge issue.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:41 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a '99 Boxster that I bought in early '04. I'm 6'4" and within a few months I did the console delete. I'm very happy with it. My HVAC and stereo were both above the console, and I had no cupholders. All I lost in the process was a CD holder and a cubby.

By the way, a few years ago I installed a pair of GT3 seats. Is that enough to make my car a legit "Boxster GT3"???
Old 04-14-2011, 01:08 AM
nosnow
Rennlist Member

Finally got around to snapping a couple of pics.
Attached Images   
Old 04-21-2011, 08:15 PM
Chris in WNC
Track Day

I have a 2002 and recently did this. I moved the AC controls to where the cupholders were and there was plenty of wire to do this - didn't need an extension but did need a new trim piece for the AC control unit (http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...__1#entry61765). Here are great step by step instructions for the delete: http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/albuq44?page=1

Quick Reply: Has anyone deleted their center console?