Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 Boxster for autocross

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 04:47 PM
cretinx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can update as well - my M030 2.7 Boxster got totalled, I picked up a 2003 S with fully adjustable PSS9s/camber/sway bars.

My specs are as follows

-Converted from bolts to hubs in the rear, fitted with 7mm spacers for more clearance when lowering
-Lowered the car 1", corner balanced with 150 lb ballast in driver's seat.
-Shocks set at 5 all around
-Front alignment is 0.03" of toe out, -1 degrees camber
-Rear alignment is 0.08" of toe in, -1.8 degrees camber

the car is currently faster than my brain.

Seriously contemplating the following setup for next year

custom steel racing wheels
FRONT: 16" x 9", +31 offset
265/45/16 tires
REAR: 16" x 10", +39 offset
265/45/16

Kumho makes a the V710 in 16" sizes.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:05 PM
Han Solo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those 16" wheels will drop it down another 1/2". If you're trailering the car you might want to make sure it will clear the ramp

Otherwise it looks like a fun car. Did you mess with the sway bars or add strut bars?
Old 09-27-2011, 03:53 PM
cretinx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Han Solo
Those 16" wheels will drop it down another 1/2". If you're trailering the car you might want to make sure it will clear the ramp

Otherwise it looks like a fun car. Did you mess with the sway bars or add strut bars?
my 16s would run 265/45/16 tires - which are larger than stock diameter, so it would actually raise the car up 0.3" in the front and 0.1" in the rear.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:13 AM
Han Solo
Instructor

Default Finally getting to the clutch!

We didn't really have any symptoms of a bad clutch in this Boxster but without knowing that it had ever been replaced and over 170,000 miles on the car... well I figured it just had to be toast. Especially after about a hundred runs this year on R-comp tires!

So we ordered about $2700 in parts including light weight flywheel, sport clutch disk, pressure plate, IMS upgrade kit w/ tools, etc. Got the thing up on stands and started digging in. The toughest part was pulling the exhaust which every nut and bolt was highly corroded. When it came time for the transmission bolts we found that top most bolt much easier to access from above by pulling the intake pipe.

Eased the transmission out with a jack and pulled off the pressure plate, WOW! The friction plate was really bad! Worn down to the rivets and beyond! The flywheel surface is scored and fried! Good thing we're putting in that AANSCO flywheel because OEM is mucho $$$.

I know now that the 986 (and probably 987) do not exhibit bad clutch symptoms till long after it's gone. And by the time it does let you know... your flywheel will be crap too!
Attached Images    
Old 12-27-2011, 11:23 AM
Han Solo
Instructor

Default Moving on to sports exhaust

We got the RMS upgrade done, installed the light weight flywheel, spring loaded sports clutch, sports pressure plate and transmissions back on. Now we're going to install a sports exhaust system. Purchased the tips, mufflers and headers. We gutted the OEM cats on the connecting pipes to save a few hundred bucks. We had a couple of header bolts break off so those will have to be extracted before moving on...
Attached Images   

Last edited by Han Solo; 12-27-2011 at 11:24 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-27-2011, 09:38 PM
DOUGLAP1
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Wow, it seems like evryone is doing clutch jobs this off season. I'm just getting ready to pull my gearbox for an LSD installation and clutch change. Good luck with that Aasco LWFW, there are a lot of posts over at 986 forum about the dangers of harmonic imbalance and scary photos of broken crankshafts. If its just for auto-x, then maybe no worries - it seems like most of bad stuff happens at sustained RPM on track.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:47 AM
Han Solo
Instructor

Default Exhaust upgrade photos

We got a killer deal on B & B headers, mufflers and tips. Not wanting to spend another $400 on connecting pipes, we simply cut open, gutted and welded back together the cats on the OEM connecting pipes. Dressed those up with some high temp paint and put it all together. Original O2 sensors in place and no code thrown (not yet at least). It's a very nice sound. Throaty but not raspy or too loud. Much more pressure from the escaping exhaust on your hand.

So far the IMS, RMS, LWFW, sports clutch and performance exhaust has been a success. We took the car for a shake-down run and the performance has been greatly improved. It launches quicker. Has better low RPM torque and is overall more throttle responsive. The clutch does pickup quicker but I'm attributing that to more material on the friction surfaces.

Next will be a short shifter kit...

Photo one shows the gutted OEM cat and B&B muffler.

Photo two is a rear view with the complete system.

Photos three and four show the close proximity of AC and coolant hoses to the B&B headers. We wrapped those with high temp insulation just to be safe.
Attached Images     
Old 01-02-2012, 09:40 AM
Han Solo
Instructor

Default Short shifter installed

Took about 2 hours. We also installed the billet cable end fitting. Makes for very crisp and precise shifting. All that's left is mounting some tires and we're ready for regional autocross. I move on to a clutch and shocks project on my Cayman S that I autocross on the SCCA Solo National Tour.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 1999 Boxster for autocross